Rep Denies Madonna's Daughter Was Planned to Meet Biological Father
A spokesperson for Madonna has confirmed her adopted Malawian daughter will not meet a man who alleges he's her biological dad - because her extended family has "no knowledge of a father". In 2009, the pop star won her appeal to adopt abandoned Mercy James, whose 14-year-old mother died days after giving birth.
The adoption faced opposition from Malawian man James Kambewa, who launched a legal bid in April, 2009 to regain custody of Mercy, claiming he was her biological father. Kambewa gave up his fight two months later, and reports suggested he missed his opportunity to reunite with his four-year-old during the pop star's trip to Mercy's homeland in April this year, instead moving to South Africa to make a "better life" for himself.
But a representative for the singer insists there was no planned meeting between Mercy and Kambewa, who is not acknowledged by the tot's extended family in Malawi. Madonna's rep Barbara Charone tells South Africa's the Sunday Times, "The extended family members had no knowledge of a father. The village leadership had no knowledge of a father... the mother was raped and left."
Mercy is Madonna's second adopted Malawian child. She is also mum to David Banda, four, and has a 10-year-old son, Rocco, from her marriage to British filmmaker Guy Ritchie, and a 13-year-old daughter Lourdes, from her relationship with Carlos Leone.
More Madonna News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie