Rep Denies Madonna's Daughter Was Planned to Meet Biological Father
A spokesperson for Madonna has confirmed her adopted Malawian daughter will not meet a man who alleges he's her biological dad - because her extended family has "no knowledge of a father". In 2009, the pop star won her appeal to adopt abandoned Mercy James, whose 14-year-old mother died days after giving birth.
The adoption faced opposition from Malawian man James Kambewa, who launched a legal bid in April, 2009 to regain custody of Mercy, claiming he was her biological father. Kambewa gave up his fight two months later, and reports suggested he missed his opportunity to reunite with his four-year-old during the pop star's trip to Mercy's homeland in April this year, instead moving to South Africa to make a "better life" for himself.
But a representative for the singer insists there was no planned meeting between Mercy and Kambewa, who is not acknowledged by the tot's extended family in Malawi. Madonna's rep Barbara Charone tells South Africa's the Sunday Times, "The extended family members had no knowledge of a father. The village leadership had no knowledge of a father... the mother was raped and left."
Mercy is Madonna's second adopted Malawian child. She is also mum to David Banda, four, and has a 10-year-old son, Rocco, from her marriage to British filmmaker Guy Ritchie, and a 13-year-old daughter Lourdes, from her relationship with Carlos Leone.
More Madonna News
- Is Drake Expecting a Son?
- Ellen DeGeneres Punishes Audience Member for Stealing on the Show
- Report: Shin Min A Accompanies BF Kim Woo Bin Receiving Cancer Treatment
- Alexis Bledel Returns for 'The Handmaid's Tale' Season 2 as Series Regular
- Cheryl Signs Up for Private Boxing Sessions in an Attempt to Get Back Into Shape After Giving Birth
- Jake Gyllenhaal Loses His Legs in Boston Marathon Bombing in Intense Trailer for 'Stronger'
- 50 Cent Has the Hots for Helen Mirren Despite 30-Year Age Gap: 'She Turns Me On'
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sparks Plastic Surgery Speculations