Lawrence Taylor Set to Appear in Court for Rape Charges
American football legend Lawrence Taylor has been ordered to appear in court in September to face charges he paid a minor for sex. The retired New York Giants star, 51, was arrested on May 6 at a hotel in Montebello, New York amid allegations he paid a 16-year-old girl $300 (GBP200) for sex.
In July, he entered a not guilty plea to charges of third-degree rape, patronizing a prostitute, sexual abuse and endangering a child. On Wednesday, August 25, Taylor's lawyer, Arthur Aidala, and prosecutors met behind closed doors with New York Supreme Court Justice William Kelly for the first time since Kelly took over the case. Kelly was assigned the case this month after Rockland County Court Judge William Nelson recused himself for undisclosed reasons.
Kelly set a court date for September 24, when a plea deal could be offered, reports the New York Post. Taylor was not present at the hearing, where Aidala reportedly reiterated his defense, insisting the icon was arrested because of a young girl's lie. Aidala reportedly told the judge, "She did lie. She did not know who he was, but she did know that he was a famous athlete."
If convicted, Taylor faces up to four years in prison.
- Your Favorite 'Nashville' Stars Are Returning for Season 5. Find Out Which Ones
- Scarlett Johansson Is the Highest-Grossing Actress of All Time
- Real Reason Why Caitlyn Jenner Didn't Attend Khloe Kardashian's Birthday Party Revealed
- Ariel Winter Goes Naked in the Bathtub Days After Breakup
- 'Preacher' Gets Expanded Season 2, '12 Monkeys' Is Renewed for Season 3
- Iggy Azalea Dumped Nick Young After Finding Out He Impregnated His Ex Again
- Kylie Jenner and Blac Chyna's Feud Ends. Stars Become 'Close' Friends Now
- Miles Teller Has Halo Screwed to His Skull in 'Bleed for This' Trailer