Ben Shepherd Clarifies His 'Homeless' Comment
Rocker Ben Shepherd has spoken out to clarify reports he's "homeless", insisting his current "couch surfing" predicament cannot compare to the harsh conditions facing those sleeping rough on the streets. In an interview with Spin magazine, the Soundgarden bassist was quoted as saying he's been living on "studio couches and at friends' houses" because he is "totally broke" - but Shepherd insists his problems are not as "exciting" as the journalist suggests.
In a statement posted on the band's official website, Shepherd explains, "I feel the banner saying that I am homeless was merely a sensationalizing stunt done by workers at Spin magazine to sell their story, or make it seem more exciting than it actually is. It makes me feel embarrassed for the truly homeless people to be associated at all in any way with the likes of me. I seem to have been lucky, as most of you (have), in never having to survive day to day (on the streets) anyway..."
"Sure I've been couch surfing, but that's a far cry from the plight of many many millions of good people worldwide. I just don't want our loyal... fans to be misled, or a bad light to be shone upon my family or friends who have helped me and tried to help me get along."
But the rocker is determined to see the positive side of the story, insisting the article will have raised awareness about the plight of homelessness. He adds, "I would actually like to thank whatever editor that played this hand for helping once again bring to light the subject of the homeless and uncared for human beings of this dangerously bleak world."
- See Tyler Hoechlin's Superman in Action in 'Supergirl' Set Videos
- Did Tyler Posey Just Come Out as Gay on Snapchat?
- Fans Defend Malia Obama Amidst Backlash for Attending Lollapalooza Instead of DNC
- Watch Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Shed Tears in 'Wolves' Music Video
- Amber Rose Reveals Wiz Khalifa Puts His Sperm on Her Face While They're Having Sex
- Emma Roberts Is Mad Diva in 'Scream Queens' Season 2 Promo
- Katy Perry Credits Boyfriend Orlando Bloom for Helping Write Her DNC Speech
- Disney Gives 'Rocketeer' a Reboot With Exciting Twist - Get the Deets Here!