Simon Cowell Is Devastated After Contestant Axed From 'X Factor' Over Mental Health
Music mogul and talent king Simon Cowell has been left "devastated" after producers of his hit TV show "The X Factor" were forced to axe a contestant over concerns for her mental health. Shirlena Johnson, 30, stunned British TV viewers on Saturday night, August 21 with her bizarre, chanting rendition of Duffy's hit "Mercy", and Cowell was suitably impressed, calling the singer "fantastically nuts".
But the single mum was cut from the show after losses launched an investigation into claims she suffers from mental health issues, and Cowell admits he's upset that Johnson is no longer in the contest. He tells The Sun newspaper, "I'm devastated. It's heartbreaking. I really feel for her. I'm very upset and disappointed."
"The advice I'm given is she can't do the show. But there's another argument that we're depriving her of the chance to make some money. Even if she didn't win, she could have picked up money for personal appearances. On the other hand, if we don't take the advice we're irresponsible."
Cowell quit as a judge on "American Idol" in May and is now planning to take his "X Factor" show to America.
- Justin Bieber Denies Peeing His Pants: 'Water Spilled on My D**k Area'
- Meryl Streep Reacts After Karl Lagerfeld Calls Her 'Cheap' for Snubbing Chanel Dress at Oscars
- Watch Ed Sheeran Adorably Crash Katy Perry's Interview
- Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' Finally Has Premiere Date
- 'Their Finest' New Trailer Conveys Warmth Amid WWII
- First Trailer for Netflix's 'Burning Sands' Features Black Fraternity Hazing
- Meghan Trainor Empowers Women on New Song 'I'm a Lady'
- 'Fargo' Murders Santa Claus in First Season 3 Teaser