Simon Cowell Is Devastated After Contestant Axed From 'X Factor' Over Mental Health
Music mogul and talent king Simon Cowell has been left "devastated" after producers of his hit TV show "The X Factor" were forced to axe a contestant over concerns for her mental health. Shirlena Johnson, 30, stunned British TV viewers on Saturday night, August 21 with her bizarre, chanting rendition of Duffy's hit "Mercy", and Cowell was suitably impressed, calling the singer "fantastically nuts".
But the single mum was cut from the show after losses launched an investigation into claims she suffers from mental health issues, and Cowell admits he's upset that Johnson is no longer in the contest. He tells The Sun newspaper, "I'm devastated. It's heartbreaking. I really feel for her. I'm very upset and disappointed."
"The advice I'm given is she can't do the show. But there's another argument that we're depriving her of the chance to make some money. Even if she didn't win, she could have picked up money for personal appearances. On the other hand, if we don't take the advice we're irresponsible."
Cowell quit as a judge on "American Idol" in May and is now planning to take his "X Factor" show to America.
More Simon Cowell News
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!
- Katy Perry's New Album in the Works, Tour to Follow in 2017
- Justin Bieber Launches Another Bizarre Rant
- Sharon Osbourne Defends Kelly for Trashing Ozzy's Alleged Mistress, Can't Help Laughing at It
- Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley Returning to Host 2016 CMA Awards