Simon Cowell Is Devastated After Contestant Axed From 'X Factor' Over Mental Health
Music mogul and talent king Simon Cowell has been left "devastated" after producers of his hit TV show "The X Factor" were forced to axe a contestant over concerns for her mental health. Shirlena Johnson, 30, stunned British TV viewers on Saturday night, August 21 with her bizarre, chanting rendition of Duffy's hit "Mercy", and Cowell was suitably impressed, calling the singer "fantastically nuts".
But the single mum was cut from the show after losses launched an investigation into claims she suffers from mental health issues, and Cowell admits he's upset that Johnson is no longer in the contest. He tells The Sun newspaper, "I'm devastated. It's heartbreaking. I really feel for her. I'm very upset and disappointed."
"The advice I'm given is she can't do the show. But there's another argument that we're depriving her of the chance to make some money. Even if she didn't win, she could have picked up money for personal appearances. On the other hand, if we don't take the advice we're irresponsible."
Cowell quit as a judge on "American Idol" in May and is now planning to take his "X Factor" show to America.
- Meet the Ravagers From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Iggy Azalea Sparks Butt Implant Rumors With Instagram Photo. What Expert Says?
- Cara Delevingne Fuels St. Vincent Engagement Rumors With This Photo
- New Trailer for Baz Luhrmann's 'The Get Down' Turns Shady Life Into Hope
- 'Moana' Characters Unveiled in New Posters
- Watch Usher, Josh Groban and More Tell Politicians 'Don't Use Our Song' in New Clip
- Dr. Dre Detained Outside His Malibu House After an Alleged Road Rage
- Sarah Silverman Gets Booed for Mocking Bernie Sanders Supporters at DNC