Michael Jackson's Father Re-Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Michael Jackson's father has re-filed his wrongful death lawsuit against his son's embattled physician Dr. Conrad Murray, alleging the medic staged an intervention with the pop star just one week before he died. Joe Jackson's initial attempt to seek unspecified damages over the King of Pop's June 2009 death was rejected in June this year because of an error in court documents.
He was given until August 13 to amend the papers, but won a deadline extension after his legal representative Brian Oxman was injured in a freak fall. Now the patriarch has successfully lodged his complaint - released days after a judge postponed Murrary's premilinary hearing until the New Year, which will determine if he will face a trial for administering the anesthetic that killed the King of Pop.
The documents, obtained by TMZ.com, allege Murray and concert promoters AEG Live staged a "drug intervention" at his son's home on 18 June, 2009, intended to get him to adhere to Murray's drug regimen so he could get more sleep. Jackson claims AEG bosses were upset the singer was missing rehearsals for his doomed This Is It concerts because of medication prescribed by other doctors, including dermatologist Arnold Klein.
The suit claims AEG bosses demanded the singer "stop seeing Dr. Arnold Klein and stop taking the drugs Klein gave to him," adding they wanted Michael to "take only the medications being given to him by Conrad Murray". Joe Jackson has previously accused Murray of withholding vital information from the doctors and emergency service operatives who were trying to save Michael's life on the day he died.
Murray is accused of administering a fatal dose of anesthetic Propofol to his pop star client. He has pleaded not guilty to a charge of involuntary manslaughter and is awaiting a preliminary hearing on January 4, 2011 to see if he will face trial.
More Michael Jackson News
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Ties the Knot with Joana Pak
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Kicked Out of Childbirth Class - Here Is Why!
- 'Luke Cage' Renewed for Season 2 at Netflix
- 'Glee' Star Becca Tobin Marries Zach Martin - Check Out Her Wedding Pics!
- Donald Trump Calls 'SNL' Unwatchable, Alec Baldwin Reacts
- Jensen Ackles and Danneel Harris Welcome Twin Babies
- 'Sense8' Announces Premiere Dates for Christmas Special and Season 2
- Watch: Shawn Mendes Makes His 'SNL' Debut