Missy Elliott Pays Tribute to Aaliyah on Death Anniversary
Missy Elliott has paid tribute to her late friend Aaliyah on the ninth anniversary of the R&B star's death. The "Try Again" hitmaker was killed in a plane crash in the Bahamas on August 25, 2001 at the age of 22, shortly after the release of her third album and just as she was launching herself as a Hollywood actress.
Elliott collaborated with Aaliyah many times throughout her tragically short career and insists she still misses her friend nearly a decade after her death. She tells MTV.com, "There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of (Aaliyah) or watch a video or play her music. I miss her every day."
But the rapper insists she is proud to see the singer's influence live on in present day artists, including Ciara. She adds, "I think it's hard for Aaliyah to be duplicated, because she had her own lane. But Ciara is an R&B singer who loves to dance, and Aaliyah was that same kinda artist. We knew when she dropped a record, we couldn't wait for the video. I think Aaliyah has influenced artists like Ciara."
More Missy Elliott News
- Nicki Minaj Has Her Eyes on 'Sexy' Nick Cannon Amid Mariah Carey Diss
- Zayn Malik Terrified About Harry Styles' Solo Album: 'He's Going to Steal My Thunder'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24 Week 2: And the First Eliminated Celebrity Is ...
- Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello Reignite Romance Rumors With Dreamy Cover of Ed Sheeran's 'Kiss'
- Pregnant Beyonce Is 'in Hiding': She's Ballooned So Much She Doesn't Want Her Fans to See!
- See Creepy Pennywise and The Losers Club in New 'It' Photos
- 'True Detective' Will Return for Season 3 With David Milch
- Abby Lee Miller Exits 'Dance Moms': 'I Have Been Manipulated, Disrespected and Used'