Missy Elliott Pays Tribute to Aaliyah on Death Anniversary
Missy Elliott has paid tribute to her late friend Aaliyah on the ninth anniversary of the R&B star's death. The "Try Again" hitmaker was killed in a plane crash in the Bahamas on August 25, 2001 at the age of 22, shortly after the release of her third album and just as she was launching herself as a Hollywood actress.
Elliott collaborated with Aaliyah many times throughout her tragically short career and insists she still misses her friend nearly a decade after her death. She tells MTV.com, "There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of (Aaliyah) or watch a video or play her music. I miss her every day."
But the rapper insists she is proud to see the singer's influence live on in present day artists, including Ciara. She adds, "I think it's hard for Aaliyah to be duplicated, because she had her own lane. But Ciara is an R&B singer who loves to dance, and Aaliyah was that same kinda artist. We knew when she dropped a record, we couldn't wait for the video. I think Aaliyah has influenced artists like Ciara."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce