Jackie Chan Slammed for Endorsing Troubled Shampoo
Martial arts star Jackie Chan has come under fire for endorsing a shampoo which allegedly contained carcinogens. The "Rush Hour" star has used his movie fame to pitch all manner of products in China, but the latest has landed him in hot water. Critics claim Chan backs too many brands - and he should be more discerning.
And one leading opponent, columnist Qiao Zhifeng, went further, calling Chan's shampoo mess "an abuse of endorsements." But government officials deemed the shampoo, called BaWang, safe.
Chan recently broke his silence about the controversy at charity auction in Shanghai on August 8. He said, "Incidents like this, where shampoos are reported to have problems, are not new. Someone is trying to harm me and BaWang." He added, "I have always been very careful with what products I endorse."
Marketing experts insist Chan will bounce back from the alleged shampoo sham, despite the fact it's the latest product endorsed by the actor which has proven to be far from successful. Top analyst Tiger Hou tells the Los Angeles Times newspaper he believes Chan will survive the controversy because the Chinese people love and trust him.
Hou says, "Jackie Chan is one of China's most credible celebrities for a reason. In all his movies, he's always insisted on doing his own stunts. I'm confident he will recover from this controversy. The whole thing will blow over."
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group