Tyler Perry Is Ready to Quit 'Madea'
Funnyman Tyler Perry can't wait to retire his movie matriarch "Madea", insisting he "doesn't get" what audiences love about her. The actor shot to fame as the sharp-tongued grandmother in movies including "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" and "Madea Goes to Jail" - but he admits he's ready to quit cross-dressing for the role.
He says, "I resented the fact that she became so famous and so many people loved her, because I just didn't get it, and I did not get her. But these days grandmothers are much younger, and much busier. Back in the day, there were grandmothers who would be there for you, give you counsel, and I think that's what she represents to a lot of people."
"Now I'm at a place where as long as the audience love to see it, I'll do it. But the minute they stop coming - that old broad, she's dead. She's outta here. She is gonna die a quick death."
More Tyler Perry News
- Mariah Carey's Worst Nightmare! Sister to Detail the Singer's Satanic Rituals and Sex Abuse Claims
- Keshia Knight Pulliam Welcomes Baby Girl Named Ella Grace
- Kristen Wiig Joins 'Last Man on Earth' in a Mysterious Recurring Role
- 'The Voice' Execs Want Blake Shelton to Propose to Gwen Stefani On-Air
- Ed Sheeran Travels Back to His Teenage Years in Nostalgic Video for 'Castle on the Hill'
- 'American Horror Story' Crossover Season Details: Sarah Paulson Could Be Playing 18 Characters
- Kourtney Kardashian Cradles Baby Doll While Covering Her Belly in New Pic
- Stephen Colbert to Host 2017 Emmy Awards