Kathryn Joosten Wants Smoking Disclaimer on 'Mad Men'
Two-time cancer survivor Kathryn Joosten is calling for "Mad Men" bosses to air a warning about the hazards of smoking before characters light up on the hit drama. The "Desperate Housewives" star stamped out her 45-year smoking habit in 2001 after she was diagnosed with lung cancer. She was told she had the deadly disease again last year and underwent surgery before being declared cancer-free in January.
The 70-year-old star admits she's worried that the characters in "Mad Men", about the advertising industry in 1960s New York, set a bad example for viewers by frequently puffing away on cigarettes. And the actress is urging producers to address the issue with an official caution.
She tells E! Online, "I think they should at least have a disclaimer at the front of the show saying smoking is relevant to the time and place with the subject matter we're dealing with and it is not recommended because it causes cancer. They should at least do that."
Joosten also wants TV executives to pay for annual chest X-rays "for any member of the cast and crew who wants one".
- Watch Fergie's 'M.I.L.F. $' Music Video Starring Kim Kardashian and Chrissy Teigen
- Justin Bieber Posts Cryptic Message About Relationship, Says He'd 'Rather Be Lonely'
- Kim Kardashian on Butt Pads Allegations: 'I Don't Need Them'
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying if She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday