Serena Williams Skips U.S. Open With 'Deep Sadness'
Tennis champ Serena Williams has been forced to bow out of the U.S. Open after she failed to recover from foot surgery in time for the competition. The world number one underwent an operation for cuts on her right foot after she was slashed by broken glass in a restaurant in July.
But the sports ace has been left devastated after having to withdraw from the Open, which kicks off on August 30. In a statement, she says, "It is with much frustration and deep sadness that I am having to pull out of the U.S. Open."
The injury did bring one positive outcome - she reportedly grew closer to rapper ex-boyfriend Common while in hospital. The pair split up in April after two years.
More Serena Williams News
- Find Out Why Psy Chose Apink's Na Eun for His 'New Face' MV
- Jo Kwon Wants a 2AM Reunion
- Tyga Spotted Wearing Matching Sneakers With Mystery Brunette
- Jennifer Garner's New Pal Chelsea Handler Is Going After Ben Affleck
- 'Game of Thrones' Is Filming Fake Scenes
- Most Brutal Celebrity vs Paparazzi Fights
- Are 'Riverdale' Stars Cole Sprouse and Lili Reinhart Dating?
- 'Ant-Man and the Wasp': Evangeline Lilly Reacts to Michelle Pfeiffer's Casting as Her On-Screen Mom