Serena Williams Skips U.S. Open With 'Deep Sadness'
Tennis champ Serena Williams has been forced to bow out of the U.S. Open after she failed to recover from foot surgery in time for the competition. The world number one underwent an operation for cuts on her right foot after she was slashed by broken glass in a restaurant in July.
But the sports ace has been left devastated after having to withdraw from the Open, which kicks off on August 30. In a statement, she says, "It is with much frustration and deep sadness that I am having to pull out of the U.S. Open."
The injury did bring one positive outcome - she reportedly grew closer to rapper ex-boyfriend Common while in hospital. The pair split up in April after two years.
More Serena Williams News
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip