Serena Williams Skips U.S. Open With 'Deep Sadness'
Tennis champ Serena Williams has been forced to bow out of the U.S. Open after she failed to recover from foot surgery in time for the competition. The world number one underwent an operation for cuts on her right foot after she was slashed by broken glass in a restaurant in July.
But the sports ace has been left devastated after having to withdraw from the Open, which kicks off on August 30. In a statement, she says, "It is with much frustration and deep sadness that I am having to pull out of the U.S. Open."
The injury did bring one positive outcome - she reportedly grew closer to rapper ex-boyfriend Common while in hospital. The pair split up in April after two years.
More Serena Williams News
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.12 Sneak Peeks: More Guns, More People, More Time
- President Donald Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Following Tension With Press
- 'Cars 3' New Extended Teaser Introduces the Next Generation of Racers
- Lea Michele Gets Naked in Bed With a Guy Before Oscars