Serena Williams Skips U.S. Open With 'Deep Sadness'
Tennis champ Serena Williams has been forced to bow out of the U.S. Open after she failed to recover from foot surgery in time for the competition. The world number one underwent an operation for cuts on her right foot after she was slashed by broken glass in a restaurant in July.
But the sports ace has been left devastated after having to withdraw from the Open, which kicks off on August 30. In a statement, she says, "It is with much frustration and deep sadness that I am having to pull out of the U.S. Open."
The injury did bring one positive outcome - she reportedly grew closer to rapper ex-boyfriend Common while in hospital. The pair split up in April after two years.
More Serena Williams News
- Ellen Pompeo Admits She Stays on 'Grey's Anatomy' Because of Her Age
- James McAvoy Is a Psychopath in 'Split' Trailer
- Kristen Stewart 'So Much Happier' With Girlfriend Alicia Cargile Than With Any Man
- Watch: Elizabeth Banks, Idina Menzel and More Stars Cover 'Fight Song' for Hillary Clinton
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke