Serena Williams Skips U.S. Open With 'Deep Sadness'
Tennis champ Serena Williams has been forced to bow out of the U.S. Open after she failed to recover from foot surgery in time for the competition. The world number one underwent an operation for cuts on her right foot after she was slashed by broken glass in a restaurant in July.
But the sports ace has been left devastated after having to withdraw from the Open, which kicks off on August 30. In a statement, she says, "It is with much frustration and deep sadness that I am having to pull out of the U.S. Open."
The injury did bring one positive outcome - she reportedly grew closer to rapper ex-boyfriend Common while in hospital. The pair split up in April after two years.
- Iggy Azalea Slams Nick Young's Baby Mama, Accuses Her of Wanting Attention and Money
- 'Harry Potter' Star Tom Felton Joins 'The Flash' as Series Regular. Is He an Ally or Foe?
- Kate Hudson Bares Her Butt Again, Goes Completely Naked in This NSFW Pic
- Taylor Swift Who? Calvin Harris Gets Flirty With Mystery Brunette While Partying in Cabo
- Apple in Talks to Buy Jay-Z's Tidal
- Kylie Jenner Calls Tyga Her 'Husband' on Snapchat
- Lindsay Lohan Writing Tell-All Book About Her Life
- 'Wreck-It Ralph 2' Gets 2018 Release Date, Hints at Internet Setting