Wyclef Jean Still Running for Haiti President
Wyclef Jean is adamant he is still in the running for the Haiti presidency, dismissing a spate of rumors he has been booted out of the race ahead of the official candidacy announcement. The former Fugees frontman is planning to run for office in his homeland, but is waiting for his candidacy to be approved by officials in Haiti, who have to decide whether he meets the electoral criteria.
The announcement was due on Tuesday, August 17, but was delayed until Friday, August 20 and rumors have been swirling ahead of the deadline, suggesting Jean has already been struck from the running list. But speaking on "Larry King Live", the hip-hop star is adamant the list is fake and he has met the guidelines by having Haitian residency for the past five years - insisting he is not out of the race just yet.
He tells the veteran newsman, "We have had residence in Haiti for five years, more than five years, Larry... I wanted to clarify a rumor that came out on Reuters that said the list for the candidates came out and Wyclef's name was not on it. That is not true. The list is supposed to come out (on Friday)."
In the same occasion, Wyclef Jean said he turned down the Haitian president's offer to boost his security detail after the star received death threats warning him to drop out of the country's upcoming election race. He said, "The president of Haiti, Rene Preval, brought me in today, because he said he was concerned... He was reading that I was hiding. We've had several death threats, six or seven. The president said if I need that, he would provide more security on our behalf. (But) we don't need any more security. I'm actually comfortable where I'm at right now. I'm in my hometown and I'm comfortable."
- Viola Davis to Lead All-Female Heist Movie From '12 Years a Slave' Director Steve McQueen
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd
- Brody Jenner Throws Tantrum After Getting Kicked Off Hotel