Wyclef Jean Still Running for Haiti President
Wyclef Jean is adamant he is still in the running for the Haiti presidency, dismissing a spate of rumors he has been booted out of the race ahead of the official candidacy announcement. The former Fugees frontman is planning to run for office in his homeland, but is waiting for his candidacy to be approved by officials in Haiti, who have to decide whether he meets the electoral criteria.
The announcement was due on Tuesday, August 17, but was delayed until Friday, August 20 and rumors have been swirling ahead of the deadline, suggesting Jean has already been struck from the running list. But speaking on "Larry King Live", the hip-hop star is adamant the list is fake and he has met the guidelines by having Haitian residency for the past five years - insisting he is not out of the race just yet.
He tells the veteran newsman, "We have had residence in Haiti for five years, more than five years, Larry... I wanted to clarify a rumor that came out on Reuters that said the list for the candidates came out and Wyclef's name was not on it. That is not true. The list is supposed to come out (on Friday)."
In the same occasion, Wyclef Jean said he turned down the Haitian president's offer to boost his security detail after the star received death threats warning him to drop out of the country's upcoming election race. He said, "The president of Haiti, Rene Preval, brought me in today, because he said he was concerned... He was reading that I was hiding. We've had several death threats, six or seven. The president said if I need that, he would provide more security on our behalf. (But) we don't need any more security. I'm actually comfortable where I'm at right now. I'm in my hometown and I'm comfortable."
- Watch: Louis Tomlinson Performs 'Just Hold On' in Honor of His Late Mother
- Jennifer Lawrence Apologizes to Hawaiian People for Joking About Sacred Rocks
- Tim Miller Opens Up on Why He Left 'Deadpool 2'
- Donald Trump Clarifies 'Apprentice' Rumors, Insists He Will Devote 'Zero Time' to the Show
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen