Wyclef Jean Is Out of Haiti Presidency Competition
Hip-hop star Wyclef Jean is out of the running for the Haiti presidency - the rapper's name is not on the list of approved candidates, according to new reports. The former The Fugees frontman announced plans to run for office earlier this month, after stepping up his charity work in his native country in the wake of January's devastating earthquake.
The official line-up of presidential candidates was due to be announced on Tuesday, August 17, but was delayed until Friday, August 20. An unnamed official from Haiti's provisional electoral council has now told Reuters that Jean is not included among the hopefuls, saying, "He is not on the list as I speak."
Jean, who was born in Haiti and moved to New Jersey aged nine, reportedly did not fulfill the criteria needed to run for office, with candidates required to have lived in the country for five consecutive years before the election and have complied with tax laws.
The musician's bid for the presidency was not popular with some citizens and the star's lawyer admitted on Tuesday that Jean had received "anonymous threats from people who are saying that he should think twice before running for the president."
- Alex Rodriguez Bans J.Lo From Talking to Ex Casper Smart
- 'KUWTK': Lisa Rinna's Family to Replace the Kardashians
- Selena Gomez Fears Run-In With Ex Justin Bieber at 2017 Billboard Music Awards
- Find Out Why Kim and Kourtney Kardashian Bans Kanye West From Mexican Trip
- Report: Angelina Jolie Is Using Black Magic to Get Revenge From Brad Pitt
- Khloe Kardashian Claims Lamar Odom's New Romance Is Only a Way to Get Her Attention
- Mila Kunis Gives Her Parents a Surprise Home Makeover
- 'The Flash' 3.20 Promo: Savitar Will Be Unmasked in 'I Know Who You Are'