Kings of Leon's Frontman Sorry for 'Sex on Fire' Comment
Kings of Leon frontman Caleb Followill regrets his scathing comments about the band's massive hit "Sex on Fire" - insisting he's "ashamed" of the incident. The rocker stunned fans in a recent interview when he described the group's breakthrough song as a "piece of s**t" and slammed their new batch of supporters as "not f**king cool".
But he now rues his remarks, and admits he was "scared" with the level of fame "Sex on Fire" had brought the band. Followill tells British rock magazine NME, "For a while there, I turned into someone I wasn't proud of. I wasn't appreciative of the admiration we were getting, and I said some things that I'm ashamed of. I hurt people who were genuine fans of the band because I was embarrassed to look out from the stage every night and see people who weren't like me."
In the same interview bassist Jared Followill said they turned down guest appearances in "Ugly Betty" and "Glee" over fears they would be accused of "selling out". TV bosses behind "Ugly Betty" once approached the group and asked them to appear as themselves in a special episode, while the producers of Glee wanted to theme a one-off episode around the band's music.
But bassist Jared Followill admits they rejected both opportunities in a bid to retain their integrity. He tells Britain's NME.com, "We got an offer to appear on an episode of Ugly Betty. They wanted us to play ourselves. We were supposed to come in and help her out with some problem or other. We could have sold out so much more. We turn stuff down constantly."
Asked about a request from the producers of "Glee", he adds: "I've never seen that show. Apparently everyone loves it. We had some people call us up wanting to know if we'd allow 'Use Somebody' to appear in the trailer... I was like, 'Man, don't even waste your energy'."
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding