Refusing to Lose to Jet Li, Jean-Claude Van Damme Turned Down 'The Expendables' Offer
Jean-Claude Van Damme refused to appear in Sylvester Stallone's all-star action film "The Expendables", because he would have to lose a fight to Jet Li. Stallone corralled a hitlist of Hollywood hard men to appear in the film, but "Universal Soldier" star Van Damme turned him down, because the Belgian martial arts expert failed to get the movie's satirical undertones.
Stallone tells Britain's Sunday Times, "I wanted to set Jean-Claude against Jet Li, but he didn't want to lose to Jet. He didn't think that was cool. But that's why it would be cool; to have Jean-Claude beaten by the other man. Hey, they could have a rematch. But Steven Seagal and Van Damme, they weren't really into our gallows humor."
Van Damme may well be regretting his decision to star alongside Stallone, Jason Statham, Li, Dolph Lundgren and Mickey Rourke in "The Expendables" - the movie shot to number one in America at the weekend, August 15.
- Lady Antebellum Will Make You Dance With Their Cover of JT's 'Can't Stop the Feeling!'
- 'Tallulah' Trailer: Ellen Page and Allison Janney Raise a Kidnapped Child
- 'Lost in Space' Reboot Ordered to Series by Netflix
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna's Baby's Sex Reportedly Revealed. A Boy or a Girl?
- Rihanna Previews 'Sledgehammer' Video Before Premiering It in Full in IMAX
- Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban's Surrogacy Plan for Baby No. 3 Opposed by Their Church
- Hard Work Pays Off! Kourtney Kardashian Displays Her Rock-Hard Abs in Sexy Bikini
- Jessica Williams Is Leaving 'The Daily Show' to Headline New Comedy Series