Refusing to Lose to Jet Li, Jean-Claude Van Damme Turned Down 'The Expendables' Offer
Jean-Claude Van Damme refused to appear in Sylvester Stallone's all-star action film "The Expendables", because he would have to lose a fight to Jet Li. Stallone corralled a hitlist of Hollywood hard men to appear in the film, but "Universal Soldier" star Van Damme turned him down, because the Belgian martial arts expert failed to get the movie's satirical undertones.
Stallone tells Britain's Sunday Times, "I wanted to set Jean-Claude against Jet Li, but he didn't want to lose to Jet. He didn't think that was cool. But that's why it would be cool; to have Jean-Claude beaten by the other man. Hey, they could have a rematch. But Steven Seagal and Van Damme, they weren't really into our gallows humor."
Van Damme may well be regretting his decision to star alongside Stallone, Jason Statham, Li, Dolph Lundgren and Mickey Rourke in "The Expendables" - the movie shot to number one in America at the weekend, August 15.
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March