Refusing to Lose to Jet Li, Jean-Claude Van Damme Turned Down 'The Expendables' Offer
Jean-Claude Van Damme refused to appear in Sylvester Stallone's all-star action film "The Expendables", because he would have to lose a fight to Jet Li. Stallone corralled a hitlist of Hollywood hard men to appear in the film, but "Universal Soldier" star Van Damme turned him down, because the Belgian martial arts expert failed to get the movie's satirical undertones.
Stallone tells Britain's Sunday Times, "I wanted to set Jean-Claude against Jet Li, but he didn't want to lose to Jet. He didn't think that was cool. But that's why it would be cool; to have Jean-Claude beaten by the other man. Hey, they could have a rematch. But Steven Seagal and Van Damme, they weren't really into our gallows humor."
Van Damme may well be regretting his decision to star alongside Stallone, Jason Statham, Li, Dolph Lundgren and Mickey Rourke in "The Expendables" - the movie shot to number one in America at the weekend, August 15.
- Justin Bieber Turns Down $5M Offer to Perform at RNC
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden's Baby Struggles Reportedly Cause Marriage Problems
- Andrew Garfield Is World War II Hero in First 'Hacksaw Ridge' Trailer
- 'Scream Queens' Adds Jerry O'Connell in Mystery Role