Tyra Banks Apologizes for Controversial New 'Top Model' Ad
Supermodel-turned-TV personality Tyra Banks has distanced herself from a controversial trailer advertising the upcoming new series of her hit show "America's Next Top Model", insisting she never saw the promo before it aired on TV last week.
In the ad, Banks appeared to be amazed at a tall model's tiny waist and judge J. Alexander was featured clasping his hands around her minuscule frame and touching his fingers. The retired catwalk star admits she was stunned when she saw the commercial - and has now apologized to fans who were appalled by what they saw.
In a statement released to U.S. TV news show Entertainment Tonight, she writes, "In an effort to create a fun and entertaining sneak peak of the upcoming cycle, 'America's Next Top Model' released a trailer that was edited in way that misconstrued our overarching message. As a leader in celebrating and promoting healthy body image, I must admit that I regrettably didn't see this clip before it was released to the public."
"On behalf of the Top Model team, these were not the intentions, and we truly apologize for any confusion, anger or disappointment it (trailer) may have caused." She further states, "The passionate response the trailer has evoked proves that the message to promote and celebrate all different - healthy and natural - body types has resonated with our viewers and I'm so proud of every one of you who voiced your opinion and participated in this conversation."
"I have experienced body image scrutiny from one extreme to the next... (and) I am committed to expanding the definition of beauty which includes ALL shapes, sizes and proportions, from skinny to curvy and everything in between. During this season of Top Model, you will see that Ann (the woman featured in the trailer) provided another opportunity for me to support a young woman struggling with her own body image issues... Helping young ladies, like Ann, and countless others that have confided in me, furthers and supports my core mission."
- Pressed About Gay Cover-Up Rumor, Here's How Will Smith Reacts
- Bryan Singer Confirms 'Legion' Will 'Relate' to Future 'X-Men' Movies
- Demi Lovato's Reportedly Dating UFC's Luke Rockhold
- Do You Ever Find Group Chat Annoying? Kerry Washington Perfectly Portrays It in Fake Movie Trailer
- Ellie Goulding Releases 'Still Falling for You' Video From 'Bridget Jones's Baby'
- So, This Is Apparently Why Jennifer Lopez Broke Up With Casper Smart
- Helen Mirren in Talks to Join New 'Nutcracker' Movie, Sarah Paulson Eying a Role in 'Ocean's Eight'
- Young Thug's 'No, My Name Is Jeffery' Album Cover Sparks Hilarious Memes