Wife of Fantasia Barrino's Married Lover Threatens to Sue Her
R&B singer Fantasia Barrino has been threatened with a lawsuit from the woman who has accused the star of breaking up her marriage. The former "American Idol" winner was hospitalized for a drug overdose on Monday, August 9 after she became entangled in divorce proceedings between North Carolina couple Antwuan Cook and his estranged wife Paula.
Barrino was released from Carolinas Medical Center-Pineville in North Carolina on Wednesday, August 11 and her manager, Brian Dickens, assured fans she was already on the path to recovery. But her personal woes could soon become legal ones - Paula's attorneys have warned Barrino's legal rep she could be hauled into court under a state law which allows a party to sue a "home wrecker" for alienation of affection and criminal conversation, reports People.
The singer's lawyer, Gena Morris, says, "(Paula Cook) has threatened via her lawyers to me to sue Fantasia. (The law is) a comical irony because they arrive out of laws when women were property of men."
However, Morris has called into question the legitimacy of Paula's allegation because the former couple has listed differing split dates. In her court filing, Paula claims she separated from her husband on June 16, while Cook insists their marriage broke down in summer 2009, before he met Barrino.
Morris adds, "If there is a relationship with a married person after they are separated, there is no cause of action for alienation." Barrino has admitted to dating Cook "off and on for 11 months", under the assumption he was separated from his spouse.
- Amber Rose Rumored to Join 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23
- Check Out First Look at Anthony Hopkins' Odin on Set of 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Amazon Adapting Martin Scorsese's 'The Departed' Into TV series
- Emma Stone Sings Sad Heartbreak Song in New 'La La Land' Teaser Trailer
- Sarah Paulson Joins Ryan Murphy's 'Feud' as Late Actress Geraldine Page
- Shannen Doherty Settles Health Insurance lawsuit With Ex-Manager Amid Cancer Battle
- Jessa Duggar and Ben Seewald Expecting Baby No. 2
- Back Off! Jay-Z Pushes Away Male Fan for Getting Too Close to Beyonce Knowles