Kirk Douglas Urges Muslims to Condemn Mosque on Ground Zero
Veteran actor Kirk Douglas has called for more Muslims to speak out and condemn the 9/11 terrorists - after admitting he's "confused" by plans to build a mosque near Ground Zero. The Hollywood legend has waded into the debate over the controversial proposal, insisting it would be "painful" for the families of the 2,700 people who died in the World Trade Center attack.
But he also admits it's unfair to punish all Muslims for the actions of a slim minority - and is urging more followers of Islam to speak out against terrorist atrocities. Taking to his MySpace.com page, Douglas writes, "I must write how I feel: A blistering argument is taking place about building a mosque near Ground Zero."
"My son Peter argues that a free country should allow the mosque to be built. I have argued that it could be painful to the families of the many victims who died there. But I am confused because I have had several Muslim friends for many years. They are kind, generous, caring people - I value their friendship."
"But, a part of me says, the people who brought about such horrific destruction on the World Trade Center were Muslims that attended a mosque and who believed that America should die. Of course, I wish more Muslims, like my friends, would speak out and condemn those actions. I am confused."
Muslim activist Feisal Abdul Rauf is behind plans to build a $100 million mosque just a few blocks from the site of the World Trade Center.
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media