Kirk Douglas Urges Muslims to Condemn Mosque on Ground Zero
Veteran actor Kirk Douglas has called for more Muslims to speak out and condemn the 9/11 terrorists - after admitting he's "confused" by plans to build a mosque near Ground Zero. The Hollywood legend has waded into the debate over the controversial proposal, insisting it would be "painful" for the families of the 2,700 people who died in the World Trade Center attack.
But he also admits it's unfair to punish all Muslims for the actions of a slim minority - and is urging more followers of Islam to speak out against terrorist atrocities. Taking to his MySpace.com page, Douglas writes, "I must write how I feel: A blistering argument is taking place about building a mosque near Ground Zero."
"My son Peter argues that a free country should allow the mosque to be built. I have argued that it could be painful to the families of the many victims who died there. But I am confused because I have had several Muslim friends for many years. They are kind, generous, caring people - I value their friendship."
"But, a part of me says, the people who brought about such horrific destruction on the World Trade Center were Muslims that attended a mosque and who believed that America should die. Of course, I wish more Muslims, like my friends, would speak out and condemn those actions. I am confused."
Muslim activist Feisal Abdul Rauf is behind plans to build a $100 million mosque just a few blocks from the site of the World Trade Center.
- Lisa Marie Presley Splits From Michael Lockwood After 10 Years of Marriage
- Kylie Jenner Kisses Tyga in This Sexy Photobooth Pic
- Daniel Radcliffe Is 'Leaving Room' to Play 'Harry Potter' Again in the Future
- Nicolas Cage Spotted Kissing Mystery Woman After Splitting From His Wife
- Video Premiere: Blake Shelton's 'She's Got a Way With Words'
- DC Superheroes Line Up for Duty in New 'Justice League' Concept Art
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show
- Kylie Jenner Wears Tyga's Sweatshirt Amid Reconciliation Rumors