Happy Mondays' Bez Convicted of Assault
Happy Mondays star Bez Berry is planning to appeal a court decision after he was found guilty of assaulting his ex-girlfriend on Wednesday, August 11. The British star - real name Mark Berry - had denied "throttling" his former partner Monica Ward in an argument over missing cash at their home in Manchester, England, in May.
Ward testified that she was left fearing for her life in the bust-up, telling the Manchester Magistrates' Court: "I told him he had put down the money somewhere and forgotten where he had put it; he has a history of mislaying things. He had both hands around my neck, he was just looking insane and squeezing me for about five seconds. He told me he was going to kill me before the police arrived."
Berry then left the property but returned later and kicked down the door. Speaking to the court, he claimed he did not hurt Ward and alleged that she had been violent towards him. He said: "There was no battering, no throttling, that is her fabrication. She has always been violent towards me. I loved the woman, I loved her with all my heart. I have forgiven and forgotten so many times. I feel as if my reputation as a man has been destroyed. The last few months I have felt like a rapist. I feel my soul has been ripped out of me."
Berry branded the hearing a "kangaroo court" after he was convicted of assault and using unlawful means to gain entry into a property. The 46 year old will be sentenced on August 25.
- Lucasfilm Isn't Happy With Alden Ehrenreich's 'Han Solo' Performance
- Israel Names a Beach After Britney Spears
- Taylor Swift Resurfaces With New Look in a Congratulatory Video for Russell Westbrook
- Pregnant Serena Williams Poses Nearly Nude for Vanity Fair
- Scott Disick Risks Liver Failure With His Binge Drinking Habit
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale Photos: Get First Look at Aria's Wedding Dress
- Is Khloe Kardashian Pregnant? Tristan Thompson Believes She Will Be the 'Best Mom'
- Insecure Kylie Jenner Thinks She's Ugly