Happy Mondays' Bez Convicted of Assault
Happy Mondays star Bez Berry is planning to appeal a court decision after he was found guilty of assaulting his ex-girlfriend on Wednesday, August 11. The British star - real name Mark Berry - had denied "throttling" his former partner Monica Ward in an argument over missing cash at their home in Manchester, England, in May.
Ward testified that she was left fearing for her life in the bust-up, telling the Manchester Magistrates' Court: "I told him he had put down the money somewhere and forgotten where he had put it; he has a history of mislaying things. He had both hands around my neck, he was just looking insane and squeezing me for about five seconds. He told me he was going to kill me before the police arrived."
Berry then left the property but returned later and kicked down the door. Speaking to the court, he claimed he did not hurt Ward and alleged that she had been violent towards him. He said: "There was no battering, no throttling, that is her fabrication. She has always been violent towards me. I loved the woman, I loved her with all my heart. I have forgiven and forgotten so many times. I feel as if my reputation as a man has been destroyed. The last few months I have felt like a rapist. I feel my soul has been ripped out of me."
Berry branded the hearing a "kangaroo court" after he was convicted of assault and using unlawful means to gain entry into a property. The 46 year old will be sentenced on August 25.
- Louis Tomlinson Files for Joint Custody of His Son With Briana Jungwirth
- Iggy Azalea Addresses Nick Young Baby Rumor, Reveals She Caught Him Cheating on Camera
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney's Wedding Plan Reportedly Shelved Because of This
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Make Out in Rome, Fans Say Their Romance Is 'Staged'
- Watch James Van Der Beek Channel Diplo to Promote Mad Decent Block Party