Fantasia Attempted Suicide Due to Marriage Wrecker Claim
Singer Fantasia Barrino overdosed on medications after feeling "heartbroken" and "overwhelmed" by reports accusing her of having an affair with a married man, according to her representative. The former "American Idol" star is in a stable condition after checking into a hospital in North Carolina on Monday, August 9 and receiving treatment for a "medication overdose".
Her publicist explains that Barrino was left devastated after hitting the headlines when she was named in divorce proceedings between North Carolina couple Antwuan Cook and his estranged wife Paula, who alleged the star had an affair with Cook after meeting him in August 2009.
A statement issued by Barrino's rep on Tuesday, August 10 reads: "Fantasia read Mrs. Cook's complaint against Mr. Cook for the first time yesterday. She knows some of the allegations in Mrs. Cook's complaint are totally false. There are others she strongly doubts. There is plenty she does not know."
"Fantasia is heartbroken and is sorry for any pain she may have caused. Yesterday, she was totally overwhelmed by the lawsuit and the media attention. Last night, Fantasia was hospitalized. She took an overdose of aspirin and a sleep aid. Her injuries are not life threatening. She was dehydrated and exhausted at the time. Fantasia is stable now. She will be released from the hospital soon. Fantasia is a fighter and a survivor. This is not the hardest thing Fantasia has endured."
Barrino's rep also confirms that the R&B singer was romantically involved with Cook, but that she believed he was separated from his wife during their relationship. The statement continues: "Fantasia believed Mr. Cook when he told her he was not happy in his marriage and his heart was not in it. She believed him when he told her he and Mrs. Cook separated in the later summer of 2009... Fantasia fell in love with Mr. Cook and believed that he loved her. Fantasia and Mr. Cook dated on and off for about 11 months."
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked