Helen Mirren-Starring Movie 'Love Ranch' Is a Flop
Dame Helen Mirren's turn as a brothel madam in "Love Ranch" will not be shown in U.K. cinemas - after flopping at the American box office, according to reports. The actress spent time with prostitutes to research her role as Nevada prostitute boss Grace Bontempo - but her efforts won't be seen by film fans in her native Britain after disappointing ticket sales in the U.S.
The movie, directed by Mirren's husband Taylor Hackford, brought in just $135,000 in ticket sales since it was released in June - and the poor profits mean the film is likely to go straight to DVD in the U.K. An studio executive tells Britain's The Sun, "It's a disaster."
The movie is a bittersweet love story that turns explosive when the players in a romantic triangle lose control and cross the line. Set in the late-1970s, depicting larger than life personalities living on the edge, it stars Helen Mirren and Joe Pesci as Grace Bontempo and Charlie Bontempo, the husband and wife team who own and run Nevada's first legalized brothel.
- Jessica Williams Is Leaving 'The Daily Show' to Headline New Comedy Series
- Pregnant Alanis Morissette Completely Naked in This Beautiful Underwater Photo
- Video: Lady GaGa and Caitlyn Jenner Among 49 Stars Honoring Orlando Shooting Victims
- Justin Timberlake Is One Grumpy Doll in First 'Trolls' Trailer
- Stephanie March Reveals Botched Boob Job Amid 2014 Bobby Flay Marriage Trouble
- Peta Murgatroyd Confirms She's Pregnant With Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Baby
- Drew Barrymore in Talks to Host New Talk Show
- Kanye West Signs New Partnership With Adidas to Expand Yeezy Brand