Helen Mirren-Starring Movie 'Love Ranch' Is a Flop
Dame Helen Mirren's turn as a brothel madam in "Love Ranch" will not be shown in U.K. cinemas - after flopping at the American box office, according to reports. The actress spent time with prostitutes to research her role as Nevada prostitute boss Grace Bontempo - but her efforts won't be seen by film fans in her native Britain after disappointing ticket sales in the U.S.
The movie, directed by Mirren's husband Taylor Hackford, brought in just $135,000 in ticket sales since it was released in June - and the poor profits mean the film is likely to go straight to DVD in the U.K. An studio executive tells Britain's The Sun, "It's a disaster."
The movie is a bittersweet love story that turns explosive when the players in a romantic triangle lose control and cross the line. Set in the late-1970s, depicting larger than life personalities living on the edge, it stars Helen Mirren and Joe Pesci as Grace Bontempo and Charlie Bontempo, the husband and wife team who own and run Nevada's first legalized brothel.
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'