Helen Mirren-Starring Movie 'Love Ranch' Is a Flop
Dame Helen Mirren's turn as a brothel madam in "Love Ranch" will not be shown in U.K. cinemas - after flopping at the American box office, according to reports. The actress spent time with prostitutes to research her role as Nevada prostitute boss Grace Bontempo - but her efforts won't be seen by film fans in her native Britain after disappointing ticket sales in the U.S.
The movie, directed by Mirren's husband Taylor Hackford, brought in just $135,000 in ticket sales since it was released in June - and the poor profits mean the film is likely to go straight to DVD in the U.K. An studio executive tells Britain's The Sun, "It's a disaster."
The movie is a bittersweet love story that turns explosive when the players in a romantic triangle lose control and cross the line. Set in the late-1970s, depicting larger than life personalities living on the edge, it stars Helen Mirren and Joe Pesci as Grace Bontempo and Charlie Bontempo, the husband and wife team who own and run Nevada's first legalized brothel.
- Sibling Rivalry What? Khloe Kardashian Calls Kim Her 'Body Motivation'
- Robin Thicke, Pharrell and T.I. Officially Appeal 'Blurred Lines' Copyright Verdict
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Bra During Casual Stroll While Kylie Flaunts Major Cleavage
- Demi Moore Joins Cast of R-Rated Comedy 'Rock That Body'
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Are in No Rush to Walk Down the Aisle
- Singer Babyface Joins 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23
- Usher Confirms New Album 'Hard II Love' Is Due Out Next Month
- Gisele Bundchen Gets Shirtless Assistant Taking Care of Her Booty During Photo Shoot