Helen Mirren-Starring Movie 'Love Ranch' Is a Flop
Dame Helen Mirren's turn as a brothel madam in "Love Ranch" will not be shown in U.K. cinemas - after flopping at the American box office, according to reports. The actress spent time with prostitutes to research her role as Nevada prostitute boss Grace Bontempo - but her efforts won't be seen by film fans in her native Britain after disappointing ticket sales in the U.S.
The movie, directed by Mirren's husband Taylor Hackford, brought in just $135,000 in ticket sales since it was released in June - and the poor profits mean the film is likely to go straight to DVD in the U.K. An studio executive tells Britain's The Sun, "It's a disaster."
The movie is a bittersweet love story that turns explosive when the players in a romantic triangle lose control and cross the line. Set in the late-1970s, depicting larger than life personalities living on the edge, it stars Helen Mirren and Joe Pesci as Grace Bontempo and Charlie Bontempo, the husband and wife team who own and run Nevada's first legalized brothel.
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!