Helen Mirren-Starring Movie 'Love Ranch' Is a Flop
Dame Helen Mirren's turn as a brothel madam in "Love Ranch" will not be shown in U.K. cinemas - after flopping at the American box office, according to reports. The actress spent time with prostitutes to research her role as Nevada prostitute boss Grace Bontempo - but her efforts won't be seen by film fans in her native Britain after disappointing ticket sales in the U.S.
The movie, directed by Mirren's husband Taylor Hackford, brought in just $135,000 in ticket sales since it was released in June - and the poor profits mean the film is likely to go straight to DVD in the U.K. An studio executive tells Britain's The Sun, "It's a disaster."
The movie is a bittersweet love story that turns explosive when the players in a romantic triangle lose control and cross the line. Set in the late-1970s, depicting larger than life personalities living on the edge, it stars Helen Mirren and Joe Pesci as Grace Bontempo and Charlie Bontempo, the husband and wife team who own and run Nevada's first legalized brothel.
- Ryan Seacrest Assures Fans Everything Is OK After Fire Breaks Out at His $50M Mansion
- Pregnant Again? Blac Chyna Sports Suspicious Bump While Stepping Out With Another Man
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'
- Nicole Scherzinger Flashes Ample Cleavage and Toned Abs for New Ad
- Kurt Sutter Reveals The Mayans Originally Didn't Exist in 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Colton Haynes Introduces New Boyfriend Jeff Leatham
- First Look at Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Here's the First Look of Shocker's Costume in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'