Fantasia Slams Reports of Marriage Wrecker and Sex Tape
A lawyer for Fantasia Barrino has blasted reports the R&B singer is responsible for breaking up the marriage of a North Carolina couple after she was accused of having an affair with the man involved.
The former "American Idol" winner found herself entangled in the split between Antwuan Cook and his estranged wife Paula, who recently filed divorce papers in a North Carolina court. In the documents, Barrino is alleged to have begun a "covert adulterous affair" with Cook after meeting him in August 2009.
Paula goes on to claim they filmed their alleged bedroom antics, stating in the papers: "Husband and Ms. Barrino have at times recorded their illicit sexual activity." The estranged wife further alleges she has exchanged words with Barrino over the phone, in which the singer reportedly told her, "He don't want you. Maybe the next time that you get a husband you'll know how to keep him. That's why he is here with me."
But Barrino's lawyer, Gena Morris, has slammed Paula Cook for using the star's name to draw attention to her case. Morris tells TMZ.com, "Mrs. Cook gratuitously included claims about Fantasia to sensationalise that litigation and to insure (sic) that her tale would be picked up by tabloids. The fact that she would seek such publicity in a case involving her children is particularly disgraceful."
Barrino's manager, Brian Dickens, has also fired back at the accusations, insisting the singer is "not responsible" for the Cooks' split - although it is unclear whether or not the star has been romantically involved with Antwuan Cook. In a statement, he says, "(Fantasia is) certain that she is not responsible for the deterioration of the Cook's marriage."
"Fantasia will weather this storm with the dignity and grace that she has exemplified throughout a life in which she has repeatedly overcome obstacles and challenges. Fantasia's faith in God, herself and family remain as strong as ever."
- Kourtney Kardashian on Reconciling With Scott Disick: 'I'm So Not There Yet'
- Listen to Preview of Carly Rae Jepsen's 'E.Mo.Tion: Side B' Tracks
- Here's Your First Look at Kristin Chenoweth's Easter on 'American Gods'
- Prince's Paisley Park Home Will Be Open for Public in October
- Terminally Ill Fan Got Special Screening of 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Before Passing
- Here's What Blac Chyna Thinks of Kylie Jenner Playing Step Mom to King Cairo
- 'Mr. Robot' 2.09 Preview: It's Time to Go Home
- Lady GaGa's New Song 'Perfect Illusion' Reportedly due Out Next Week