Portia de Rossi Files Request to Adopt Ellen DeGeneres' Last Name
Former "Ally McBeal" star Portia de Rossi has filed court papers to legally take on her partner Ellen DeGeneres' last name. The couple wed in a same sex ceremony in 2008 when gay marriage was legalized in the state of California.
The Aussie actress lodged the name change petition in Los Angeles County Superior Court last Friday, August 6, asking to be formally known as Portia DeGeneres. A judge is expected to approve the request as such petitions are routinely granted, reports TMZ.com.
Same sex marriage was outlawed in California just months after its legalization by the Proposition 8 bill. However, in a landmark ruling last week, a U.S. judge branded Proposition 8 "unconstitutional", paving the way for gay unions to be made legal once more.
- Watch: Elizabeth Banks, Idina Menzel and More Stars Cover 'Fight Song' for Hillary Clinton
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof