Portia de Rossi Files Request to Adopt Ellen DeGeneres' Last Name
Former "Ally McBeal" star Portia de Rossi has filed court papers to legally take on her partner Ellen DeGeneres' last name. The couple wed in a same sex ceremony in 2008 when gay marriage was legalized in the state of California.
The Aussie actress lodged the name change petition in Los Angeles County Superior Court last Friday, August 6, asking to be formally known as Portia DeGeneres. A judge is expected to approve the request as such petitions are routinely granted, reports TMZ.com.
Same sex marriage was outlawed in California just months after its legalization by the Proposition 8 bill. However, in a landmark ruling last week, a U.S. judge branded Proposition 8 "unconstitutional", paving the way for gay unions to be made legal once more.
- Bella Thorne Rises to Stardom in Trailer for 'Famous in Love' From 'Pretty Little Liars' Creator
- Justin Bieber Accidentally Reactivates Instagram Account
- Madonna, Usher and More Stars Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: More Fights and Departures
- Britney and Beyonce Under Fire for Their VMAs Performances. Plus Get Details on Their Backstage Feud
- Taylor Swift Dismissed From Jury Duty due to Her Ongoing Sexual Abuse Case
- Production on 'The Maze Runner: The Death Cure' to Resume in February 2017
- Blake Lively Hosts Private Baby Shower With Taylor Swift