Emma Thompson Says Audrey Hepburn Can't Sing and Act
Emma Thompson can't wait to see Audrey Hepburn replaced in a remake of "My Fair Lady" - because she's convinced the star couldn't sing or act. Thompson is currently drafting a screenplay for the upcoming reworking of the 1964 musical in which Hepburn played Cockney flower girl Eliza Doolittle.
And the Brit plans to give her script a feminist makeover - because she couldn't stand Hepburn's "twee" portrayal of such an "extraordinary role". She says, "I was thrilled to be asked to do it because, having a look at it, I thought that there needs to be a new version. I'm not hugely fond of the film. I find Audrey Hepburn fantastically twee."
"Twee is whimsy without wit. It's mimsy-mumsy sweetness without any kind of bite. And that's not for me. She can't sing and she can't really act, I'm afraid. I'm sure she was a delightful woman - and perhaps if I had known her I would have enjoyed her acting more, but I don't and I didn't, so that's all there is to it, really."
"It was (costumer) Cecil Beaton's designs and (Hepburn's co-star) Rex Harrison that gave it its extraordinary quality. I don't do Audrey Hepburn. I think that she's a guy thing... It's high time that the extraordinary role of Eliza was reinterpreted, because it's a very fantastic part for a woman."
An Education star Carey Mulligan has been tipped to take on the role of Doolittle.
More Emma Thompson News
- Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk Are Reportedly Dating
- Jenna Dewan Reportedly Joins Channing Tatum at 'Magic Mike Live' Premiere Due to Trust Issues
- Watch Preview of Ty Dolla $ign and Lil Yachty's Collaboration for 'Beach House 3'
- George and Amal Clooney Reportedly to Spend Over $1 M on a Royal-Like Delivery Experience
- 'Delusional' Drake Is Still Not Over Rihanna, but She Won't Give Him Another Chance
- Perrie Edwards Celebrates Footballer Beau Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's Win With a Dance
- Kris Jenner Reportedly Planning New Reality Show Featuring Her Grandkids
- Sara Sampaio Exposes Nipples in See-Through Bustier