Bernie Mac's Widow Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Doctor
Bernie Mac's widow is suing the late comedian's longtime doctor, accusing the medic of failing to recognize the seriousness of his symptoms in the weeks leading up to his death from heart failure in 2008. The "Ocean's Eleven" star passed away in August 2008, following a prolonged battle with pneumonia.
His grieving widow, Rhonda McCullough, filed a wrongful death lawsuit against dermatologist Rene M. Earles last week, alleging he overlooked signs of respiratory failure when Mac visited him at his Chicago, Illinois clinic on July 17, 2008.
She believes the star should have immediately been admitted to hospital for further examination, instead of being kept at the clinic - which she alleges could have saved his life. Legal papers filed in Chicago's Cook County Circuit Court state, "(Earles) failed to recognize and act upon abnormal vital signs and signs of respiratory failure."
But Earles has defended his actions, claiming he advised Mac, who appeared weak when he turned up with a fever and a rash, to go straight to hospital after learning from his other doctor that he had been diagnosed with pneumonia in both lungs. It was then that the 50 year old was taken to an emergency room by his chauffeur and treated by hospital doctors, reports the Chicago Sun-Times newspaper.
Earles adds, "He didn't die the next day, he didn't die in two days. He died in two weeks and he got over his original strain of pneumonia. He got another strain of pneumonia while he was in the hospital."
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'