Bandmate Blindsided by Steven Tyler's Run for 'Idol' Judge
Steven Tyler's plans to join "American Idol" have infuriated his Aerosmith bandmates - guitarist Joe Perry has criticized the singer for keeping the news from the rest of the group. There are currently two empty slots on the TV talent show's judging panel and rumors have been rife over who will replace Simon Cowell and Ellen DeGeneres, who quit after just one season.
Tyler is one of many stars linked to a judging role, and the rocker confirmed this week that he has spoken to executives at TV network Fox about joining the show. But the revelation came as a shock to Tyler's bandmates, with Perry criticizing his pal for not sharing his plans. The guitarist has also spoken of his fears for the future of Aerosmith if the frontman does decide to step in front of the cameras as an "American Idol" judge.
Perry tells the Boston Herald, "I found out on the internet like the rest of the world... I mean, this is no small thing. I mean, after working with me for 40 years, he couldn't tell me about this... Why so secretive? We're told it's a done deal. If Steven is committed to a TV show, that kind of affects the rest of us. We'd like to plan our lives, ya know?"
Tyler unexpectedly quit the band last year, and the rockers decided to audition for a new singer so they could continue plans for a tour and a new album, but Tyler's lawyers blocked the move and he subsequently rejoined them.
More American Idol News
- Iggy Azalea Slams Nick Young's Baby Mama, Accuses Her of Wanting Attention and Money
- 'Harry Potter' Star Tom Felton Joins 'The Flash' as Series Regular. Is He an Ally or Foe?
- Kate Hudson Bares Her Butt Again, Goes Completely Naked in This NSFW Pic
- Taylor Swift Who? Calvin Harris Gets Flirty With Mystery Brunette While Partying in Cabo
- Apple in Talks to Buy Jay-Z's Tidal
- Kylie Jenner Calls Tyga Her 'Husband' on Snapchat
- Lindsay Lohan Writing Tell-All Book About Her Life
- 'Wreck-It Ralph 2' Gets 2018 Release Date, Hints at Internet Setting