Bernie Nolan Wins Battle Against Breast Cancer
Irish singer Bernie Nolan is winning her battle against breast cancer - her tumors have dramatically shrunk in size and are now barely detectable. The 49-year-old star revealed in April she had been diagnosed with an aggressive form of the disease and began undergoing sessions of chemotherapy to treat it.
The star is now halfway through her six-week treatment program and reveals doctors are amazed by her speedy recovery - the two tumors in her left breast have shrunk to a fifth of their original size. And the good news means Nolan may be spared undergoing a mastectomy.
She tells Britain's News of the World, "The doctors were amazed. We were celebrating. We broke out the champagne that night. My oncologist has said the chemo alone could beat the cancer." And the singer, best known as part of all-sister band The Nolans, admits she wept tears of joy after her physician told her she wasn't a carrier of the cancer gene, which could have affected her 11-year-old daughter, Erin.
She adds, "When I opened the letter I just cried, but they were happy tears. I'm a positive person but if it had come back that Erin was a risk I'm not sure how I would have coped."
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival