Former 'X Factor' Contestant Joe McElderry Declares He Is Gay
British singer Joe McElderry has 'come out' as gay following intense online speculation about his sexuality. Rumors about the teenager's sexual preference have been rife since he won Simon Cowell's TV talent show "The X Factor" in December 2009.
Earlier this year, the star's personal Twitter.com page was hacked into, with a fake post outing him as gay and stating: "It's been difficult living a lie for so many years." McElderry has now told his fans the truth about his sexuality, admitting the Twitter prank pushed him into revealing all.
He tells Britain's The Sun, "I was really angry at first - thinking, 'How dare they hack me?' But after a while I looked at the message and thought, 'Well, they're not that far from the truth'." He continues sharing, "I think the Twitter thing was the point when I realized I was gay. I just looked at it and thought, 'Should I be more bothered about this?' Because I wasn't, that's when it clicked and I thought maybe I was. It was a turning point, definitely."
The 19 year old admits he's happy with his choice to 'come out' publicly, adding, "I think I can be happy now that I have realized who I am - and I am feeling good about it."
- Scott Eastwood Is in Talks to Star in 'Pacific Rim 2'
- Video: Chris Brown Throws a Fan's Phone Used to Film Him at a Club
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Season 4 Casting News Fuels the Ghost Rider Speculation
- 'Quantico' Beauty Priyanka Chopra Reveals She Has 'Never Dated.' Here's Why
- Drake Says His Heart's Broken by Rihanna as They Spark New Dating Rumor in London
- First Look at Matthew McConaughey as Man in Black on 'The Dark Tower' Set
- Fergie Debuts 'M.I.L.F. $'. Listen to the Empowering New Track!
- Nicki Minaj Goes Braless and Flashes Ample Boob in This Photo