Ozzy Osbourne Slams Record Labels and Downloads
Ozzy Osbourne is "disgusted" by the way new bands are treated by their record labels - accusing music executives of forcing wannabe stars to give up their financial rights in exchange for fame. The former Black Sabbath star is convinced aspiring artists are treated harshly by their music industry bosses these days, and he blames the rise of internet downloads and the fall of CD releases for making labels take more money from their stars.
He tells Thequietus.com, "Nowadays? F**king hell! The other day, I was informed that new bands who've just signed with their record companies have to give away part of their publishing (rights), part of their gig money, part of their concessions, whatever. What the f**k is going on? I wouldn't like to be one of the bands of today. It's f**king disgusting the way they treat the bands..."
"It's (the music industry has) changed so much. Someone can be the biggest thing in the world, and then the next month you go 'What happened to them?' Record sales are no more - they aren't selling records that much any more, because of this downloading thing."
And Osbourne is urging upcoming musicians to do some research before they sign away their rights. He adds, "When we were kids and we wanted to be successful, we didn't know what the f**k we were signing. We didn't know anything about publishing companies or whatever. Now you can go onto your computer and you can f**king find out what to go for. You can open your laptop and find out what a manager's average percentage is."
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival