Ricky Gervais and Pamela Anderson Delighted With Bullfighting Ban
Animal lovers Ricky Gervais and Pamela Anderson are thrilled with lawmakers' decision to ban bullfighting in Spain's Catalonia region. The pair, both dedicated champions of animal rights, have long spoken out against the barbaric sport, which sees a matador kill a bull in front of hordes of spectators.
The British comedian backed the proposal by Catalonia's government to vote on whether the sport should be banned - and he is "delighted" with their decision on Wednesday, July 28 to abolish the historical spectacle. In a statement, Gervais says, "I am absolutely delighted with this result. However, we mustn't get complacent. There are still many outdated practices around the world that are simply cruel."
And Anderson took to her Twitter.com page to make fans aware of the vote, writing, "Some historic news to report: Catalonia has just today banned bullfighting!" Other celebrities who joined the call for the ban include Brigitte Bardot and Latino variety star Charo, who is currently pushing for a similar move in Mexico.
Catalonia, which includes tourist hot spot Barcelona, is the second region to abolish bullfighting after the Spanish-owned Canary Islands. Bullfighting is still popular in Madrid and the south of the country.
- Meghan Markle Wants Prince Harry to Build Her 'Enormous' Shoe Room at Kensington Palace
- Kylie Jenner Licks Khloe Kardashian's Chest in Saucy Pic for 'KUWTK' 10th Anniversary
- Hacker Threatens to Leak 'Orange Is the New Black' Season 5 Unless Netflix Pays Ransom
- Sean Paul Connects With Migos for Epic Beach Party in New Video for 'Body'
- Justin Bieber 'Loves' Popping His Pimples Just to Get Attention
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Will Be Set in Hogwarts Stand-In Location
- Brad Pitt to Have Plactic Surgery as Angelina Jolie Divorce Ruins His Appearance
- ABC's 'Gong Show' Reboot Taps Tommy Maitland or Presumably Mike Myers in Disguise to Host