Ricky Gervais and Pamela Anderson Delighted With Bullfighting Ban
Animal lovers Ricky Gervais and Pamela Anderson are thrilled with lawmakers' decision to ban bullfighting in Spain's Catalonia region. The pair, both dedicated champions of animal rights, have long spoken out against the barbaric sport, which sees a matador kill a bull in front of hordes of spectators.
The British comedian backed the proposal by Catalonia's government to vote on whether the sport should be banned - and he is "delighted" with their decision on Wednesday, July 28 to abolish the historical spectacle. In a statement, Gervais says, "I am absolutely delighted with this result. However, we mustn't get complacent. There are still many outdated practices around the world that are simply cruel."
And Anderson took to her Twitter.com page to make fans aware of the vote, writing, "Some historic news to report: Catalonia has just today banned bullfighting!" Other celebrities who joined the call for the ban include Brigitte Bardot and Latino variety star Charo, who is currently pushing for a similar move in Mexico.
Catalonia, which includes tourist hot spot Barcelona, is the second region to abolish bullfighting after the Spanish-owned Canary Islands. Bullfighting is still popular in Madrid and the south of the country.
- Colin Farrell Joins Tim Burton's 'Dumbo' live-Action Movie
- Jay-Z Is Producing a Series About Trayvon Martin
- Pamela Anderson Storms Off TV Set After Being Offended by an Old School Photo
- Mariah Carey Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skintight Dress
- Selena Gomez Shares Message of Empowerment to High School Students During Surprise Visit
- Animated 'KUWTK' Series Is on the Way
- John Mayer Admits New Single 'Still Feel Like Your Man' Is About Katy Perry
- Selena Gomez Gets Teased About Her Love for Canadian Guys. See Her Reaction