M.I.A. Plans Free Gig to Replace Her Canceled Show in New York
Rapper M.I.A. has promised fans a free concert in New York to make up for her rain-lashed show on Saturday night, July 24 which was scrapped over safety fears. The "Paper Planes" hitmaker was headlining the Hard NYC event on Governors Island but a severe thunderstorm broke out during her set, forcing organizers to cut her performance short.
It was feared the rapper could be electrocuted if lightning struck the stage, but M.I.A. later blasted officials for the poor quality of sound at the event. She has now offered to make amends to any fans disappointed with the abandoned show - by staging a free concert in the Big Apple when she returns from playing festivals in her native U.K.
In a post on her Twitter.com page, M.I.A. writes, "F**k it! I'm gonna do a free show in NYC when I get back, tho (sic) I don't have powers over rain! If u still have the hard ticket u (sic) free!... If u do me a lil dance (sic), I'll let u in too!"
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'
- Wishes Turn Into Nightmares in 'Wish Upon' New Trailer
- Sade Convinces Drake Not to Diss Kendrick Lamar Over a Track
- Selena Gomez Cheers on The Weeknd at Brazilian Concert
- 'Power Rangers' Future Installment May Feature Female Green Ranger
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle