Wyclef Jean Considering Post as Haiti President
Wyclef Jean is reconsidering running for president of his devastated homeland Haiti, according to his charitable foundation. The former Fugees star has been instrumental in ensuring the Haitians left homeless by the massive earthquake in January have aid, and has built temporary shelters through his Yele Haiti organization.
Jean's dedication and service prompted many to call for him to step into politics, but he initially shrugged off the idea, saying, "If I take a job being a president, I can't do as much as I'm doing for my country." However, according to CNN, the star has filled out the relevant paperwork in case he wants to put himself forward as a presidential candidate in the 2010 elections, pondering during a telephone interview, "I can't sing forever."
But a statement from his foundation adds that Jean is yet to come to a final decision: "Wyclef's commitment to his homeland and its youth is boundless, and he will remain its greatest supporter regardless of whether he is part of the government moving forward. At this time, Wyclef Jean has not announced his intent to run for Haitian president. If and when a decision is made, media will be alerted immediately."
More Wyclef Jean News
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Exchange Sweet Gaze While Leaving Church Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Kourtney Kardashian Slammed by Haters for Sharing 'Materialistic' Photos of Her Kids
- Surprise! Justin Bieber and Zayn Malik Are Planning a Collaboration
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' May Flash Back to World War II
- Blac Chyna Stuns in New Topless Picture. See Her Enviable Post-Baby Body
- Watch Lady GaGa and Stevie Wonder's Performances at Elton John's 70th Star-Studded Birthday Party
- Brad Pitt Is Ready to Mend His Relationship With Angelina Jolie for the Sake of Their Kids
- Cyborg's Story Is the Heart of 'Justice League', Says Zack Snyder