Oliver Stone Apologizes After Slammed by Anti-Defamation League
Oliver Stone has apologized for "clumsy" comments he made in an English newspaper, suggesting the Holocaust has become Hitler's most prominent atrocity because of Jewish control of the media. In an interview with Britain's Sunday Times, the director was explaining how his latest documentary about the Nazi leader and former Soviet dictator Stalin would put the two men "in context".
He added, "Hitler was a Frankenstein but there was also a Dr. Frankenstein. German industrialists, the Americans and the British. He had a lot of support. Hitler did far more damage to the Russians than the Jewish people, 25 or 30 (million killed)."
And when asked why he thought there had been more of a historical focus on the killings of Jews during the Holocaust, he replied, "Jewish domination of the media. There's a major lobby in the United States. They (Jews) are hard workers. They stay on top of every comment, the most powerful lobby in Washington."
The comments caused outrage online, with the The Anti-Defamation League slamming Stone for "suggesting that Hitler has gotten an unfair shake because of Jewish influence." Now the moviemaker has released a statement, speaking of his regret over the remarks.
He says, "In trying to make a broader historical point about the range of atrocities the Germans committed against many people, I made a clumsy association about the Holocaust, for which I am sorry and I regret."
"Jews obviously do not control media or any other industry. The fact that the Holocaust is still a very important, vivid and current matter today is, in fact, a great credit to the very hard work of a broad coalition of people committed to the remembrance of this atrocity - and it was an atrocity."
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'