Billie Piper Comes Under Fire for Smoking Near Her Young Son
British actress Billie Piper has sparked outrage amongst anti-smoking campaigners after she was pictured lighting up while holding her young son. The "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" star was photographed puffing on a cigarette as she sat with her 21-month old son Winston in a pub garden in London this week.
The images, which showed the tot apparently close to a cloud of smoke, have infuriated health advocates, who are adamant that exposure to tobacco fumes puts children's health at risk. Amanda Sandford, of campaign group Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), tells WENN, "There is no doubt that second hand smoke harms children and it is inappropriate to be smoking while holding a child..."
"Second hand smoke seriously damages a child's health, raising the risk of asthma, bronchitis and chronic ear infections. The second reason is that the more a child sees adults around them, the more likely they are to try smoking themselves as they get older. Parents who quit smoking are therefore not only doing themselves a favor but their children will benefit too."
- Get New Details of Kristen Stewart and Alicia Cargile's Upcoming Nuptials
- Britney Spears on Performing at 2017 Super Bowl Halftime Show: 'I Would' Do That Again!
- Amanda Bynes Returns to Twitter, Updates Fans About Her School Life
- Courteney Cox Regrets Having Plastic Surgery
- 'Jack Ryan' Series to Tackle ISIS in Season 1, John Krasinski Reveals
- Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart Break Up Again!
- 'Nashville' Season 5 Gets Premiere Date at CMT
- Doug Liman Abandons 'Gambit' Movie, Will Now Direct 'Justice League Dark'