The xx Invite Former Member to Mercury Ceremony
British rockers The xx have put aside their differences with ex-bandmate Baria Qureshi and invited her to join them at the upcoming Mercury Prize ceremony. The group's self-titled debut "xx" will go up against releases by the likes of rock veteran Paul Weller, rapper Dizzee Rascal and soul singer Corinne Bailey Rae after making the shortlist of 12 albums under consideration for the U.K.'s most prestigious music trophy.
The xx's Oliver Sim admits he was in shock when he learned his band was among the nominees on Tuesday, July 20 and he still can't get his head around the news. He tells NME.com, "It's absolutely insane considering all the other artists (nominated), like Paul Weller. It's really mindblowing."
And Sim is adamant keyboard player Qureshi has a right to attend the London ceremony in September - because she played a big part in creating the band's sound before quitting the group in November 2009 due to "personal differences".
He says, "She has a place here, definitely. She's part of the album." Bookmakers have tipped Rascal and The xx as the early joint favorites to win the 2010 Mercury Music Award.
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation