The xx Invite Former Member to Mercury Ceremony
British rockers The xx have put aside their differences with ex-bandmate Baria Qureshi and invited her to join them at the upcoming Mercury Prize ceremony. The group's self-titled debut "xx" will go up against releases by the likes of rock veteran Paul Weller, rapper Dizzee Rascal and soul singer Corinne Bailey Rae after making the shortlist of 12 albums under consideration for the U.K.'s most prestigious music trophy.
The xx's Oliver Sim admits he was in shock when he learned his band was among the nominees on Tuesday, July 20 and he still can't get his head around the news. He tells NME.com, "It's absolutely insane considering all the other artists (nominated), like Paul Weller. It's really mindblowing."
And Sim is adamant keyboard player Qureshi has a right to attend the London ceremony in September - because she played a big part in creating the band's sound before quitting the group in November 2009 due to "personal differences".
He says, "She has a place here, definitely. She's part of the album." Bookmakers have tipped Rascal and The xx as the early joint favorites to win the 2010 Mercury Music Award.
- Alex Rodriguez Bans J.Lo From Talking to Ex Casper Smart
- 'KUWTK': Lisa Rinna's Family to Replace the Kardashians
- Selena Gomez Fears Run-In With Ex Justin Bieber at 2017 Billboard Music Awards
- Find Out Why Kim and Kourtney Kardashian Bans Kanye West From Mexican Trip
- Report: Angelina Jolie Is Using Black Magic to Get Revenge From Brad Pitt
- Khloe Kardashian Claims Lamar Odom's New Romance Is Only a Way to Get Her Attention
- Mila Kunis Gives Her Parents a Surprise Home Makeover
- 'The Flash' 3.20 Promo: Savitar Will Be Unmasked in 'I Know Who You Are'