Tom Jones' War-of-Words With Label Bosses Was NOT Publicity Stunt
Crooner Tom Jones has spoken out after accusations a recent war-of-words with bosses at his record company was a publicity stunt to promote his new album. The veteran star signed a multi-million dollar contract with Island Records last October 2009 and is set to release his latest disc, "Praise and Blame", at the end of July.
A leaked email from Island's vice president David Sharpe to his colleagues at the company revealed he was unimpressed with the new tracks. Sharpe has since apologized to Jones for the comments, sparking claims the bust-up was launched on purpose - but Jones has laughed off the accusation."
He says, "If it is (a stunt), then it's a weird way (to promote the record) - to condemn an album. It still baffles me... You know, he's on the financial team there, he's not on the creative side. But people who read the article, they don't know that. It says he's one of the vice presidents or the vice president of Island Records. But he didn't have anything to do with the making of the album." He further states, "They're apologizing for what happened. They said it just got out of hand. I don't know what the initial idea was to be honest, but it wouldn't be the way that I would try to promote something."
In related news, Tom Jones caused chaos at a British music festival on Thursday night, July 15 when thousands of fans turned up to watch his secret warm-up show. The "It's Not Unusual" hitmaker played songs from his album in a tiny woodland area on the eve of the Latitude Festival in Suffolk, England - but security bosses were forced to step in when crowds flocked to the gig.
A crush of fans built up on a bridge leading to the stage, and marshalls took action by closing down the area surrounding the small show. Festival-goer Fran Rose tells British rock mag NME, "This was a nightmare. We got caught in a human crush on the bridge and there was no crowd control."
Speaking before the gig, Jones said, "This is a new experience for me. I'm known as a showman, so when you play unfamiliar material, you're never sure how the crowd will react."
- Another Dig at Zayn Malik? Listen to Little Mix's Catchy New Track 'You Gotta Not'
- Cuteness Overload! Chrissy Teigen Dresses Daughter Luna as Banana, Minnie Mouse and Others
- Daisy Ridley Responds to 'Sexist' Claims That Rey Is Mary Sue in 'The Force Awakens'
- Amber Heard Reportedly Dating a Musician After Johnny Depp Split. Who's Her New Man?
- NBC Announces Next Live Musical 'Bye Bye Birdie' Starring Jennifer Lopez
- Iggy Azalea's Former Fiance Nick Young Welcomes Baby No. 2 With His Other Ex
- Felicity Jones Leads the Rebel Alliance in New 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Pic
- Is Mariah Carey's 'Close Relationship' With a Male Dancer to Blame for James Packer Split?