Melissa Gilbert Performed Musical on Tour With Broken Back
Actress Melissa Gilbert suffered for her art on tour with the "Little House of the Prairie" musical - she performed with a broken back. The red head, who was a child star of the beloved TV series, hit the stage as her old character's mother for the hit production and now reveals she was in agony for much of the tour.
But she had no idea she'd actually broken her back. She tells People.com she visited a neurosurgeon in Los Angeles when the tour wrapped recently and was stunned with his diagnosis: "He came in and said, 'Your back is broken, and it has been for months'."
And now she understands why she was in so much pain on tour, saying "I would balk and fight it and say, 'I've got to do the show.' If it got really bad and I lost feeling in my legs or couldn't move, I'd go to the ER." She further shares, "I thought doing a musical at 46, playing a woman in her late 20s, early 30s was amazing enough. But doing it with a broken back buys me a little more street cred."
The actress will undergo surgery later this month, and she's looking forward to getting taller. She explains, "One of the things that is great is that I've lost about a half inch in my height and I will get that back."
- Kylie Jenner Teases Her Secret Project in Seductive Instagram Photos
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Could Have More Than Six Episodes
- Alec Baldwin, Mark Ruffalo and Michael Moore Stage a Star-Studded Anti-Trump Protest in NYC
- 'Good Behavior' Gets Season 2 Renewal
- Hailee Steinfeld Confirms Her Return for 'Pitch Perfect 3'
- Jenna Dewan Having 'Big Fight' With Channing Tatum Over Her Nude Photo
- Katy Perry Goes Blonde as She Throws Surprise Birthday Bash for Orlando Bloom
- Ariana Grande Flaunts Her Slender Body in Pics to Tease Her Upcoming Tour