John Lydon Receives Hate Mail Over Tel Aviv Gig Plan
John Lydon has received hate mail after announcing plans to perform in Israel weeks after acts like the Pixies and Elvis Costello boycotted the country in protest over its policy towards Palestinians in the Gaza Strip. The former Sex Pistols star, aka Johnny Rotten, will take the reformed Public Image Ltd. to Tel Aviv for a concert and he reveals the decision hasn't been a popular one but he has no plans to back down.
Lydon tells the BBC, "Of course, there are all sorts of terrible politics going on down there but there is just about all over the world. You cannot separate yourself from your audience because of the political powers-that-be."
"I'm anti-government... and I shall be making that loud and clearly proud once I'm in Israel. We've received a lot of hate mail... (but) I say, 'Don't be so ignorant, it's John speaking here and I'm going there to cause trouble and I will do it musically'."
- Marriage on the Rocks? Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness Are Living 'Separate Lives'
- Oscars 2017: 'Zootopia' Is Best Animated Feature, 'Hacksaw Ridge' Already Wins Two
- Oscars 2017: Lin-Manuel Miranda Cries Over Surprise 'Moana' Mash-Up Cover by 'Hamilton' Cast
- 'Aliens' Actor Bill Paxton Dies at 61, Celebs Pay Tribute on Twitter
- Oscars 2017: Justin Timberlake Gets the Party Started With Lively Performance
- Does Caitlyn Jenner Have a New Girlfriend?
- Oscars 2017: Justin Timberlake Photobombs Jessica Biel and Emma Stone
- Oscars 2017: Viola Davis Wins Best Supporting Actress