Arcade Fire Pledge to Give One Million Dollars to Haiti Charity
Rockers Arcade Fire have pledged to give almost $1 million (666,670 pound sterling) to a Haiti charity if donations from the public reach the same amount. The band have teamed up with Kanpe.org, an organization which aims to rebuild one Haitian village at a time following the devastating earthquake that struck the nation on January 12.
Arcade Fire frontman Win Butler proposed the generous donation during a concert in the band's native Montreal, Canada on Monday, July 12, citing the band's co-founder Regine Chassagne's Haitian roots as their inspiration to help boost relief efforts. Chassagne serves as Kanpe.org's Grand Ambassador.
Members of the public have been encouraged to text in donations of $5 (3.30 pound sterling) - and Arcade Fire will match the figure when the total tops the million-dollar mark. The pledge was made exactly six months on from the massive earthquake.
- Roger Ailes - Megyn Kelly Harassment Movie Is in the Works
- Surprise Baby Bump! Lake Bell Is Expecting Her Second Child
- T.J. Miller Arrested for Hitting Uber Driver
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- 'Fast and Furious 8' Reveals Explosive Teaser Trailer and Official Title
- Louis Tomlinson Mourning the Loss of His Mother Who Dies of Leukemia
- Woody Harrelson Hell Bent on Killing Caesar in 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Trailer
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation