Sean Penn Knighted in Haiti
Actor and activist Sean Penn has received a top honor from Haiti's president in recognition of his work to boost relief efforts in the aftermath of January's devastating earthquake. The Hollywood star has been a regular visitor to Haiti and a major part of the recovery effort, helping to set up relief camps for more than 1.5 million Haitians still homeless six months on from the tremors.
He was among 23 honorees, including former U.S. president Bill Clinton and CNN reporter Anderson Cooper, lauded on the site of the presidential palace in Haiti's capital of Port-Au-Prince on Monday, July 12. They were 'knighted' and presented with medals and certificates by President Rene Preval.
The award ceremony took place exactly six months on from the earthquake, which struck the nation on January 12.
More Sean Penn News
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny