Sean Penn Knighted in Haiti
Actor and activist Sean Penn has received a top honor from Haiti's president in recognition of his work to boost relief efforts in the aftermath of January's devastating earthquake. The Hollywood star has been a regular visitor to Haiti and a major part of the recovery effort, helping to set up relief camps for more than 1.5 million Haitians still homeless six months on from the tremors.
He was among 23 honorees, including former U.S. president Bill Clinton and CNN reporter Anderson Cooper, lauded on the site of the presidential palace in Haiti's capital of Port-Au-Prince on Monday, July 12. They were 'knighted' and presented with medals and certificates by President Rene Preval.
The award ceremony took place exactly six months on from the earthquake, which struck the nation on January 12.
- Selena Gomez Is Queen of Instagram, Becomes the First Person to Reach 100M Followers
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reportedly Planning a 'Secret Wedding' to Nina Agdal
- Listen to Juicy J's New Single 'Ballin' Feat. Kanye West
- 'Black Panther' Casts 'Person of Interest' Alum Winston Duke as Villainous Man-Ape
- Zayn and Gigi Hadid Get Lovey-Dovey in This Pic as His Mom Asks Him to Dump Her
- Mariah Carey Debuts New Song 'Infamous' for 'Empire' Series
- Keanu Reeves Walks Down Brooklyn Bridge With His New Dog in New 'John Wick 2' Pic
- Here's the Real Reason Rob Kardashian Tweeted Kylie Jenner's Number. Does She Deserve It?