Troubled Actor Rip Torn Wants Lesser Punishment
Troubled actor Rip Torn has applied for admission into a probation program for first-time offenders stemming from a Connecticut bank break-in in January. The "Men in Black" star was found sprawled on the floor of the Litchfield Bancorp building in his hometown of Salisbury late at night, clutching a loaded revolver while reportedly drunk. He told cops he thought the building was his home.
The 79 year old, real name Elmore Rual Torn, was arrested and charged with a string of offenses, including carrying a pistol without a permit, carrying a firearm while intoxicated, first-degree burglary, first-degree criminal trespass and third-degree criminal mischief. He checked himself into a rehabilitation facility in New York after being released on bail and pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.
Torn's legal team has been working with prosecutors to work out a plea deal for the star in a bid to land a lesser punishment and his attorney, A. Thomas Waterfall, filed papers in a Connecticut court on Tuesday, July 13 asking for accelerated rehabilitation. The programme is designed for nonviolent first-time offenders and allows the charges to be dropped after a period of probation.
But he will face a challenge from prosecutors - they plan to oppose the request at a hearing on August 11. However, Torn has been given a small reprieve - authorities have dropped the burglary charge against him after agreeing the actor had no intention of stealing from the bank during the incident.
- Beware Angelina Jolie! Brad Pitt Is Ready to Publish a Tell-All
- Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson Are Fighting Over 'The Voice' Gig
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon Are Planning to Remarry This Summer
- Fans Are Begging Justin Bieber to Cancel His Upcoming U.K. Concerts
- Beyonce's Security Team Conducting Trial Runs for Her Delivery
- AOA's Choa Wipes Her Instagram Account Clean Following Dating Rumors
- Doug Liman Leaves 'Justice League Dark', 'It' Director Andres Muschietti May Take Over the Project
- Kim Kardashian Tries to Save Marriage to Kanye West for the Sake of Fame