Troubled Actor Rip Torn Wants Lesser Punishment
Troubled actor Rip Torn has applied for admission into a probation program for first-time offenders stemming from a Connecticut bank break-in in January. The "Men in Black" star was found sprawled on the floor of the Litchfield Bancorp building in his hometown of Salisbury late at night, clutching a loaded revolver while reportedly drunk. He told cops he thought the building was his home.
The 79 year old, real name Elmore Rual Torn, was arrested and charged with a string of offenses, including carrying a pistol without a permit, carrying a firearm while intoxicated, first-degree burglary, first-degree criminal trespass and third-degree criminal mischief. He checked himself into a rehabilitation facility in New York after being released on bail and pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.
Torn's legal team has been working with prosecutors to work out a plea deal for the star in a bid to land a lesser punishment and his attorney, A. Thomas Waterfall, filed papers in a Connecticut court on Tuesday, July 13 asking for accelerated rehabilitation. The programme is designed for nonviolent first-time offenders and allows the charges to be dropped after a period of probation.
But he will face a challenge from prosecutors - they plan to oppose the request at a hearing on August 11. However, Torn has been given a small reprieve - authorities have dropped the burglary charge against him after agreeing the actor had no intention of stealing from the bank during the incident.
- Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry Go Door to Door for Hillary Clinton at College Dorms
- Watch: Lady GaGa Performs 'Joanne' Songs on 'SNL'
- Tom Hanks Plays 'Black Jeopardy' as Donald Trump's Supporter on 'SNL'
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?