Troubled Actor Rip Torn Wants Lesser Punishment
Troubled actor Rip Torn has applied for admission into a probation program for first-time offenders stemming from a Connecticut bank break-in in January. The "Men in Black" star was found sprawled on the floor of the Litchfield Bancorp building in his hometown of Salisbury late at night, clutching a loaded revolver while reportedly drunk. He told cops he thought the building was his home.
The 79 year old, real name Elmore Rual Torn, was arrested and charged with a string of offenses, including carrying a pistol without a permit, carrying a firearm while intoxicated, first-degree burglary, first-degree criminal trespass and third-degree criminal mischief. He checked himself into a rehabilitation facility in New York after being released on bail and pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.
Torn's legal team has been working with prosecutors to work out a plea deal for the star in a bid to land a lesser punishment and his attorney, A. Thomas Waterfall, filed papers in a Connecticut court on Tuesday, July 13 asking for accelerated rehabilitation. The programme is designed for nonviolent first-time offenders and allows the charges to be dropped after a period of probation.
But he will face a challenge from prosecutors - they plan to oppose the request at a hearing on August 11. However, Torn has been given a small reprieve - authorities have dropped the burglary charge against him after agreeing the actor had no intention of stealing from the bank during the incident.
- Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers Revive 'SNL' 'Really?!' Segment to Mock Pro-Trump Protesters
- Halsey Slams Quavo, Calls Iggy Azalea a 'F**king Moron'
- Choa Announces She's Leaving AOA, Insists It's Not Because She's Pregnant
- Will Jared Leto Reprise The Joker Role for Harley Quinn Spin-Off?
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Posts Lowest Opening in the Franchise
- Ashton Kutcher Claims He Had Hooking Up Agreement With Mila Kunis
- Free the Nipple! Stella Maxwell Goes Braless in Racy Mesh Top
- DeMario Jackson Not Returning to 'Bachelor in Paradise' After Scandal. What About Corinne Olympios?