Noel Gallagher Slams England's Soccer Players for Losing at World Cup
Soccer fan Noel Gallagher has lashed out at England's star players for the team's lackluster performance in the World Cup. The former Oasis star admits he was disappointed by his national team, who were sent home from South Africa following a 4-1 drubbing at the hands of Germany - and he's picking on the players he feels let the side down.
Speaking to the BBC ahead of Sunday's final between Spain and the Netherlands, which the rocker attended, he fired off about Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard, Jr. He said, "He (Rooney) played like he's been hypnotized in the tunnel before and somebody had whispered in his ear, 'See the round thing, when you get out there, you'll never have seen one of them before and you won't know what to do with it'."
"At the end of the day, they (England) are not good enough. Next season, when I'm watching TV, I don't want to hear about Wayne Rooney or Frank Lampard being world class. World class means coming to a tournament like this and pulling it off on the world stage and they've never done it. Are there many English world-class players? I don't think so."
And Gallagher's soccer remarks should be heard - he correctly tipped Spain to win the World Cup at the beginning of 2010.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie