Queen Latifah Talks Controversy Surrounding New Jersey Reality Shows
Queen Latifah is proud of the controversial reality shows filmed in her native New Jersey, branding the program's stars kind and "neighborly". Her beloved Garden State has hit the headlines in recent months for producing series including "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" and MTV's "Jersey Shore", which has featured violence and heavy drinking.
But Latifah - real name Dana Owens - has defended the shows, insisting she doesn't blame viewers for being fascinated by her fellow New Jersey natives. She tells U.S. broadcaster Larry King, "Jersey has always been imaged in a weird way. You know? Associated with mobsters and stuff like that. (But) New Jersey is a great place to live. And we have given some of the best talent to the world, from Jack Nicholson, John Travolta to Jerry Lewis to Bon Jovi to Frank Sinatra."
"It's just a reality show. Aren't all reality shows reality shows? People are starting to find out that we got a cozy little spot there... People like watching other people's lives. That's just what it is. This was predicted to happen a long time ago, and now it's here, and people just really are fascinated by watching other people's lives. Shows like The Real Housewives of New Jersey and Jersey Shore, they're just very entertaining."
And the star admits she was bowled over by one of the reality show star's kindness: "I did (an appearance on talk show) Jay Leno with Mike The Situation, and he lives like ten minutes from me in Jersey. He's like, 'If you ever get a flat (tire), call me. I'll come fix your tire.' That's how we do. That's neighbourly, you know?"
More Queen Latifah News
- Kylie Jenner Calls Tyga Her 'Husband' on Snapchat
- Lindsay Lohan Writing Tell-All Book About Her Life
- 'Wreck-It Ralph 2' Gets 2018 Release Date, Hints at Internet Setting
- Rihanna Is Queen of the Universe in 'Sledgehammer' Music Video
- Lady GaGa Responds to Dalai Lama Controversy
- Idris Elba, Michael B. Jordan, John Boyega Join Academy After OscarsSoWhite Backlash
- Louis Tomlinson Files for Joint Custody of His Son With Briana Jungwirth
- Iggy Azalea Addresses Nick Young Baby Rumor, Reveals She Caught Him Cheating on Camera