Queen Latifah Talks Controversy Surrounding New Jersey Reality Shows
Queen Latifah is proud of the controversial reality shows filmed in her native New Jersey, branding the program's stars kind and "neighborly". Her beloved Garden State has hit the headlines in recent months for producing series including "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" and MTV's "Jersey Shore", which has featured violence and heavy drinking.
But Latifah - real name Dana Owens - has defended the shows, insisting she doesn't blame viewers for being fascinated by her fellow New Jersey natives. She tells U.S. broadcaster Larry King, "Jersey has always been imaged in a weird way. You know? Associated with mobsters and stuff like that. (But) New Jersey is a great place to live. And we have given some of the best talent to the world, from Jack Nicholson, John Travolta to Jerry Lewis to Bon Jovi to Frank Sinatra."
"It's just a reality show. Aren't all reality shows reality shows? People are starting to find out that we got a cozy little spot there... People like watching other people's lives. That's just what it is. This was predicted to happen a long time ago, and now it's here, and people just really are fascinated by watching other people's lives. Shows like The Real Housewives of New Jersey and Jersey Shore, they're just very entertaining."
And the star admits she was bowled over by one of the reality show star's kindness: "I did (an appearance on talk show) Jay Leno with Mike The Situation, and he lives like ten minutes from me in Jersey. He's like, 'If you ever get a flat (tire), call me. I'll come fix your tire.' That's how we do. That's neighbourly, you know?"
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3