Top Celebrity Lawyer: Lindsay Lohan's Jail Sentence Is Outrage
Top celebrity lawyer Mark Geragos has attacked the judge who sentenced Lindsay Lohan to serve 90-days behind bars, because he thinks the punishment is too harsh. The legal expert, who has represented Michael Jackson, Winona Ryder and Chris Brown in court, insists Lohan's former attorney Shawn Chapman Holley is quite right to call foul on the actress' parole violation rap from Judge Marsha Revel because the star didn't deserve a long spell behind bars.
Geragos tells HollyScoop, "I think it was more than a little bit too harsh. I think it was over the top... The idea that she got 90-days in jail plus 90-days in a rehab center for basically coming late to court and missing her weekly appointments, even though she was scheduled to finish her alcohol program on time, is an outrage."
"I think being a celebrity caused her these problems. She would not be doing this kind of sentence... and would not have this attention drawn to her if she wasn't a celebrity." And Geragos fears Lohan will be subjected to the full horrors of life in jail when she begins her sentence at the Lynwood Correctional Facility in Lynwood, California on July 20.
He tells the site, "The problem with jail is that if you haven't been there... I can tell you horror story after horror story. There was a woman who told me she was raped in jail. The sheriffs are under-manned and the jails are overpopulated."
"There is no way to manage it. Its not a humane situation. If we really wanted to help her, with this system let her go to rehab or a lockdown. I don't know why we are putting her in jail." Lohan was ordered to serve time on Tuesday, July 6 after Judge Revel ruled she had violated her probation on a 2007 DUI arrest by failing to attend court-ordered alcohol education classes.
More Lindsay Lohan News
- Gigi Hadid's Family Wants Her to Dump Zayn Malik Because of This
- Is Destiny's Child Reunion Happening? Here's What Kelly Rowland Says
- Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Turned Into Virtual Reality Experience
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Photos: Jon Snow Reunites With an Old Friend and It's Doesn't Look Friendly
- Jennifer Lawrence Was 'Stressed Out' When Dating Chris Martin, Is Happier With Darren Aronofsky
- Blake Lively Celebrates Ryan Reynolds' 40th Birthday Amid Physical Abuse Allegations
- Justin Bieber Extends 'Purpose World Tour' After Storming Off Stage Mid-Performance
- Ice Cube and 'Hamilton' Helmer Team Up for 'Oliver Twist' Musical at Disney