Simon Cowell Picks Harry Connick Jr. as New 'Idol' Judge
Harry Connick Jr. has been tipped as the favorite to take over Simon Cowell's role as a judge on "American Idol" by the star himself - the music mogul insists the crooner is "a great mentor".
Connick, Jr. joined Brett Michaels and former reality show contestant Adam Lambert as a top contender for the job after he mentored the finalists for an episode on the latest season of the show, before Cowell quit in May.
But Cowell admits Connick, Jr. has the edge over his competitors. He tells America's OK! magazine, "I wouldn't be surprised if it was Harry Connick, Jr. He was a great mentor when he was on, and he knows music."
Late last month, Michaels hinted that he was the frontrunner. He said, "We have a meeting in L.A. in a couple weeks and we're going to sit down and talk. They did a poll and I think it was Madonna, P. Diddy, Howard Stern, and myself, and I took 50 percent or 60 percent of the vote and that's tremendous. I would love to be a judge on American Idol. I think I would bring a lot to the table."
More American Idol News
- Two More Actors Join 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', New Set Photos Are Released
- 'Mr. Robot' Season 2 Gets Additional Episodes and an Aftershow
- Jamie Foxx Spotted Holding Hands With Mystery Woman. Cheating on Katie Holmes?
- Fifth Harmony Ladies Strip Down to Skimpy Bikinis in 'All in My Head' Video Ft. Fetty Wap
- 'Step Up' Series Coming to YouTube With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Attached
- Harry Styles Signs Solo Deal With Columbia Records. Time to Say Goodbye to 1D?
- 'Big Brother 18': And the First Evicted Houseguest Is...
- Check Out Details of Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston's 'Intimate' Dinner in Nashville