Elle MacPherson Clarifies Rhino Horn Comment After Backlash
Supermodel Elle MacPherson has spoken of her "regret" over her comments about the use of a Chinese medicine made from rhinoceros horn - insisting she never "knowingly consumed" any products made from "endangered species". The Australian beauty infuriated animal rights campaigners after an interview with Britain's Sunday Times - conducted via Twitter.com - which suggested she takes pills containing powdered rhino horn for medicinal purposes.
Macpherson wrote, "(It is) a little bit like crushed bone and fungus in a capsule. Does the job though... Put it this way, works for me." Campaigners at groups including People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and the Humane Society International were quick to condemn Macpherson for her remarks, accusing her of fuelling the slaughter of rhinos.
The model has now come forward to clarify her remarks. A statement released on Macpherson's behalf reads, "Following comments made in a newspaper article, Elle Macpherson would like to clarify that, whilst she has great respect for Chinese medicine, she is also fundamentally opposed to any activity which is detrimental to the protection of endangered species."
"Ms Macpherson has never knowingly consumed or encouraged the use or consumption of any products which contain material derived from endangered species and regrets any distress or offense that her banter with an interviewer might have caused when repeated out of context."
- Are J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Readying New Show Together?
- La La Vazquez Parties at NYC Strip Club After Ditching Kim Kardashian's Mexican Getaway
- Paris Jackson Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skimpy Outfit
- La La Vazquez Is Too Heartbroken to Join Kim Kardashian's Vacation in Mexico
- Harry Styles Makes a Mysterious Response to His Han Solo Casting Rumors
- G-Dragon and Sulli's Recent Instagram Posts Fuel Dating Speculation
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Pissed at Heather Morris' Shocking 'DWTS' Elimination
- Eww! Kim Kardashian Says Big Sis Kourtney Threw Up in Her Bed Four Times and Slept in It