Elle MacPherson Clarifies Rhino Horn Comment After Backlash
Supermodel Elle MacPherson has spoken of her "regret" over her comments about the use of a Chinese medicine made from rhinoceros horn - insisting she never "knowingly consumed" any products made from "endangered species". The Australian beauty infuriated animal rights campaigners after an interview with Britain's Sunday Times - conducted via Twitter.com - which suggested she takes pills containing powdered rhino horn for medicinal purposes.
Macpherson wrote, "(It is) a little bit like crushed bone and fungus in a capsule. Does the job though... Put it this way, works for me." Campaigners at groups including People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and the Humane Society International were quick to condemn Macpherson for her remarks, accusing her of fuelling the slaughter of rhinos.
The model has now come forward to clarify her remarks. A statement released on Macpherson's behalf reads, "Following comments made in a newspaper article, Elle Macpherson would like to clarify that, whilst she has great respect for Chinese medicine, she is also fundamentally opposed to any activity which is detrimental to the protection of endangered species."
"Ms Macpherson has never knowingly consumed or encouraged the use or consumption of any products which contain material derived from endangered species and regrets any distress or offense that her banter with an interviewer might have caused when repeated out of context."
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic