Elle MacPherson Clarifies Rhino Horn Comment After Backlash
Supermodel Elle MacPherson has spoken of her "regret" over her comments about the use of a Chinese medicine made from rhinoceros horn - insisting she never "knowingly consumed" any products made from "endangered species". The Australian beauty infuriated animal rights campaigners after an interview with Britain's Sunday Times - conducted via Twitter.com - which suggested she takes pills containing powdered rhino horn for medicinal purposes.
Macpherson wrote, "(It is) a little bit like crushed bone and fungus in a capsule. Does the job though... Put it this way, works for me." Campaigners at groups including People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and the Humane Society International were quick to condemn Macpherson for her remarks, accusing her of fuelling the slaughter of rhinos.
The model has now come forward to clarify her remarks. A statement released on Macpherson's behalf reads, "Following comments made in a newspaper article, Elle Macpherson would like to clarify that, whilst she has great respect for Chinese medicine, she is also fundamentally opposed to any activity which is detrimental to the protection of endangered species."
"Ms Macpherson has never knowingly consumed or encouraged the use or consumption of any products which contain material derived from endangered species and regrets any distress or offense that her banter with an interviewer might have caused when repeated out of context."
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story