Mike Tyson Goes on Pilgrimage to Mecca
Retired boxing legend Mike Tyson has reportedly embarked on a pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca. The sportsman, who converted to Islam during a jail stint in the 1990s, arrived in the Saudi Arabian city of Medina on Friday, July 2 and plans to visit the sacred spot on his tour of the country, according to the AFP.
Mecca is visited by an estimated 13 million Muslims every year as they make pilgrimages to the revered religious landmark.
Tyson, 44, turned to the religion while serving a 10-year prison sentence, later reduced to three years, for sexually assaulting beauty queen Desiree Washington in 1991. He recently admitted that he is "totally destitute and broke" after years of excessive spending, but still has "an awesome life" with his wife and kids.
More Mike Tyson News
- Pixar's Video Reveals Mind-Blowing Hidden Easter Eggs Throughout Their Movies
- Olivia Munn Reportedly Causes a Rift in Aaron Rodgers' Family
- Watch Fifth Harmony and Blake Shelton's Performances at 2017 People's Choice Awards
- Taryn Manning Is Not Leaving 'Orange Is the New Black', Despite Report
- Zayn Malik Shows Off New 'Love' Tattoo Amid Gigi Hadid Engagement Rumors
- Jennifer Lopez Spotted Cozying Up to Drake on Another Date
- Is Jared Leto Returning as Joker in New DC Movie?
- Listen to Big Sean's New Moody Track 'Halfway Off the Balcony'