Mike Tyson Goes on Pilgrimage to Mecca
Retired boxing legend Mike Tyson has reportedly embarked on a pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca. The sportsman, who converted to Islam during a jail stint in the 1990s, arrived in the Saudi Arabian city of Medina on Friday, July 2 and plans to visit the sacred spot on his tour of the country, according to the AFP.
Mecca is visited by an estimated 13 million Muslims every year as they make pilgrimages to the revered religious landmark.
Tyson, 44, turned to the religion while serving a 10-year prison sentence, later reduced to three years, for sexually assaulting beauty queen Desiree Washington in 1991. He recently admitted that he is "totally destitute and broke" after years of excessive spending, but still has "an awesome life" with his wife and kids.
- Lucasfilm Isn't Happy With Alden Ehrenreich's 'Han Solo' Performance
- Israel Names a Beach After Britney Spears
- Taylor Swift Resurfaces With New Look in a Congratulatory Video for Russell Westbrook
- Pregnant Serena Williams Poses Nearly Nude for Vanity Fair
- Scott Disick Risks Liver Failure With His Binge Drinking Habit
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale Photos: Get First Look at Aria's Wedding Dress
- Is Khloe Kardashian Pregnant? Tristan Thompson Believes She Will Be the 'Best Mom'
- Insecure Kylie Jenner Thinks She's Ugly