Prince Backed Out of Planned Performance at BET Awards
Prince stunned producers of the BET Awards on Sunday night, June 27 after reportedly canceling a planned surprise performance. The "Purple Rain" hitmaker was presented with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual ceremony by legendary singers Chaka Khan and Patti LaBelle.
Prince agreed to perform a set after a planned skit in which LaBelle and Khan were to "coax" him into an impromptu performance, according to the New York Daily News. But instead the singer left the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles without performing. He allegedly did not provide an explanation for the cancellation.
Prince was honored for his long running career and his contribution to music over the years. Stephen G. Hill, president of programming, music and specials for BET, said, "Prince is dynamic. Prince is genius. Prince is music. (The tribute will reflect his) unique style."
More Prince News
- Ariana Grande Debuts New Hairdo Amid Reports She Was Barred From Performing at White House
- 'High School Musical' Alum Corbin Bleu Gets Married to Sasha Clements. Get the Details
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Easily Wins at Box Office
- Lindsay Lohan Fights With Fiance Egor Tarabasov After Accusing Him of Cheating on Social Media
- Comic-Con: 'Prison Break' Revival Debuts New Trailer and Clip
- Liv Tyler Shares Adorable Breastfeeding Photo With Her Newborn
- Calvin Harris and Kim Kardashian Party Together Amid Taylor Swift Feud
- Drake's New Mixtape Is on the Way as 'Views' Tops Billboard 200 for 11th Week