Prince Backed Out of Planned Performance at BET Awards
Prince stunned producers of the BET Awards on Sunday night, June 27 after reportedly canceling a planned surprise performance. The "Purple Rain" hitmaker was presented with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual ceremony by legendary singers Chaka Khan and Patti LaBelle.
Prince agreed to perform a set after a planned skit in which LaBelle and Khan were to "coax" him into an impromptu performance, according to the New York Daily News. But instead the singer left the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles without performing. He allegedly did not provide an explanation for the cancellation.
Prince was honored for his long running career and his contribution to music over the years. Stephen G. Hill, president of programming, music and specials for BET, said, "Prince is dynamic. Prince is genius. Prince is music. (The tribute will reflect his) unique style."
More Prince News
- Find Out What Ji Chang Wook Wants to Achieve Before Military Enlistment
- Backstreet Boys to Reunite With Florida Georgia Line for 'CMT Crossroads'
- Justin Bieber: Out-of-Work Crew Are Not My Responsibility
- Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth Are on the Verge of Divorce
- Does Kim Know? Kanye West Caught Leaving Studio With Nearly Naked Woman
- Six Shortest Celebrity Marriages
- Dating for Nine Months, Drew Barrymore Is Set to Wed for the Fourth Time
- So Cool! Watch Lee Joon Gi Do His Own Dangerous Stunt for 'Criminal Minds'