Prince Backed Out of Planned Performance at BET Awards
Prince stunned producers of the BET Awards on Sunday night, June 27 after reportedly canceling a planned surprise performance. The "Purple Rain" hitmaker was presented with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual ceremony by legendary singers Chaka Khan and Patti LaBelle.
Prince agreed to perform a set after a planned skit in which LaBelle and Khan were to "coax" him into an impromptu performance, according to the New York Daily News. But instead the singer left the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles without performing. He allegedly did not provide an explanation for the cancellation.
Prince was honored for his long running career and his contribution to music over the years. Stephen G. Hill, president of programming, music and specials for BET, said, "Prince is dynamic. Prince is genius. Prince is music. (The tribute will reflect his) unique style."
More Prince News
- Sophia Bush Exits 'Chicago P.D.' After Four Seasons
- Niall Horan Promises One Direction Reunion, With Zayn Malik
- Bella Thorne Says Cannes 'Isn't for Me' as Scott Disick Ditches Her for Ex Chloe Bartoli
- 'Game of Thrones': New Photos Reunite the Four Starks, Final Season Episode Count Is Revealed
- Chris Cornell Appeared to Have Used Other Drugs Before Hanging Himself
- Nicki Minaj to Perform at the 2017 NBA Awards
- Is She Pregnant? Cristiano Ronaldo's GF Georgina Rodriguez Sports Suspicious Bump in New Pic
- Tyra Banks Accused of Abusing a Girl on 'America's Got Talent'