Prince Backed Out of Planned Performance at BET Awards
Prince stunned producers of the BET Awards on Sunday night, June 27 after reportedly canceling a planned surprise performance. The "Purple Rain" hitmaker was presented with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual ceremony by legendary singers Chaka Khan and Patti LaBelle.
Prince agreed to perform a set after a planned skit in which LaBelle and Khan were to "coax" him into an impromptu performance, according to the New York Daily News. But instead the singer left the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles without performing. He allegedly did not provide an explanation for the cancellation.
Prince was honored for his long running career and his contribution to music over the years. Stephen G. Hill, president of programming, music and specials for BET, said, "Prince is dynamic. Prince is genius. Prince is music. (The tribute will reflect his) unique style."
More Prince News
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?
- 'This Is Us' Stars on Latest Twist: 'I'm Rooting for Jack and Rebecca'
- Watch Justin Timberlake Amaze Las Vegas Crowd in First Full Trailer for Netflix Concert Doc
- Gwyneth Paltrow Shares Makeup-Free Selfie to Celebrate 44th Birthday
- Nashville Crowd Helps Kanye West Diss Taylor Swift
- 'Modern Family' to Make History by Casting Transgender Child Actor
- New 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set Pic Sees Tom Holland Suiting Up as the Webslinger in Queens