Prince Backed Out of Planned Performance at BET Awards
Prince stunned producers of the BET Awards on Sunday night, June 27 after reportedly canceling a planned surprise performance. The "Purple Rain" hitmaker was presented with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual ceremony by legendary singers Chaka Khan and Patti LaBelle.
Prince agreed to perform a set after a planned skit in which LaBelle and Khan were to "coax" him into an impromptu performance, according to the New York Daily News. But instead the singer left the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles without performing. He allegedly did not provide an explanation for the cancellation.
Prince was honored for his long running career and his contribution to music over the years. Stephen G. Hill, president of programming, music and specials for BET, said, "Prince is dynamic. Prince is genius. Prince is music. (The tribute will reflect his) unique style."
More Prince News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story