Lil Wayne Gets Three Years Probation for 2008 Drug Case
Incarcerated rap superstar Lil Wayne has been sentenced to three years probation after striking a plea deal with U.S. prosecutors in relation to a 2008 drugs charge. The "Lollipop" hitmaker, real name Dwayne Carter, was taken into custody by police after authorities allegedly found cocaine, ecstasy and a handgun on his tour bus at a border checkpoint in Arizona.
He pleaded not guilty to a string of weapons and drugs charges, but reached a deal with Arizona prosecutors on June 21. The rapper pleaded guilty to one count of possession of a dangerous drug and three other charges for misconduct involving weapons, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a narcotic drug for sale were subsequently dismissed.
The case returned to an Arizona court on Wednesday morning, June 30, and Wayne appeared via video link from his cell at New York's Rikers Island prison, where he is serving a year's sentence for a separate illegal weapons possession charge.
Speaking after the hearing, Wayne's local attorney, James Tilson, told Reuters, "We're quite glad that we were able to wrap everything up. It's a favourable plea agreement that will allow Mr. Carter to pursue his career." Tilson confirms the rapper will begin his probation once he's released from prison. Reports suggest Wayne will be a free man on November 4.
More Lil Wayne News
- Watch Spider-Man Make Quite an Entrance at 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Premiere
- Swimsuit-Clad Lea Michele Flashes Her Derriere During Hawaiian Getaway
- Big Bang's T.O.P Pleads Guilty to Illegal Marijuana Use: 'I Am Sincerely Embarrassed'
- Saturn Awards 2017: 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story', '10 Cloverfield Lane' Are Big Winners in Film
- Saturn Awards 2017: 'Walking Dead', 'Westworld', 'Supergirl' Top TV Winners
- Adele Says She May Never Go on Tour Again
- Tyra Banks Is Reportedly Readying for Baby No. 2
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott Flaunt Couple Rings Amid Rumors He Cheats on Her With 10 Women