'Vampire Diaries' Set Turns Green, Thanks to Ian Somerhalder
Actor Ian Somerhalder is urging bosses of hit U.S. show "The Vampire Diaries" to adopt more green techniques in a bid to help the environment. The star is backing a campaign by Go Green Mobile Power, which creates portable solar, wind or biodiesel generators for use in the entertainment industry - and he's starting with an overhaul of his bloodsucking series.
He says, "It takes a lot of power to run a movie set. We go through a lot of fuel. It's harmful, and we can start changing that a little bit. We can get rid of these noisy, stinky, disgusting gas generators. There's going to be a lot of thought that goes into this revolution that's going to happen."
"We're dealing with California Transportation Department, we're dealing with the Department of Defense, we're dealing with disaster relief - but we're also dealing with the entertainment industry. We'll be taking major productions green, like big concerts and music festivals. Greening the Vampire Diaries set is a priority for me, which we're going to be doing this year."
Somerhalder is a keen environmentalist - he spearheaded plans to organize a star-studded telethon to help raise funds for his home state of Louisiana following the devastating BP oil spill in April. The fundraiser, which took place last week and involved stars including Cameron Diaz and Robert Redford, generated more than $1.3 million to boost clean-up efforts.
More The Vampire Diaries News
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby