'Vampire Diaries' Set Turns Green, Thanks to Ian Somerhalder
Actor Ian Somerhalder is urging bosses of hit U.S. show "The Vampire Diaries" to adopt more green techniques in a bid to help the environment. The star is backing a campaign by Go Green Mobile Power, which creates portable solar, wind or biodiesel generators for use in the entertainment industry - and he's starting with an overhaul of his bloodsucking series.
He says, "It takes a lot of power to run a movie set. We go through a lot of fuel. It's harmful, and we can start changing that a little bit. We can get rid of these noisy, stinky, disgusting gas generators. There's going to be a lot of thought that goes into this revolution that's going to happen."
"We're dealing with California Transportation Department, we're dealing with the Department of Defense, we're dealing with disaster relief - but we're also dealing with the entertainment industry. We'll be taking major productions green, like big concerts and music festivals. Greening the Vampire Diaries set is a priority for me, which we're going to be doing this year."
Somerhalder is a keen environmentalist - he spearheaded plans to organize a star-studded telethon to help raise funds for his home state of Louisiana following the devastating BP oil spill in April. The fundraiser, which took place last week and involved stars including Cameron Diaz and Robert Redford, generated more than $1.3 million to boost clean-up efforts.
More The Vampire Diaries News
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding