Sergio Vega Killed When Heading to Concert
Mexican singer Sergio Vega has been killed in a gunfight just hours after he dismissed false online reports of his own death. The 40-year-old star, who was also known as El Shaka, was gunned down on his way to a concert in Sinaloa, Mexico on Saturday night, June 26. The musician is said to have been murdered by unknown gunmen who targeted Vega's red Cadillac and shot him dead after the vehicle crashed to a halt, according to the BBC.
He was killed just hours after he gave an interview to entertainment website La Oreja in which he silenced online gossip which suggested he had been murdered. Vega told the website, "It's happened to me for years now, someone tells a radio station or a newspaper I've been killed, or suffered an accident. And then I have to call my dear mum, who has heart trouble, to reassure her."
Vega, who played with his band Sergio Vega y Sus Shakas Del Norte, was known for his controversial narcocorridos music, which often features lyrics celebrating the lives of drugs barons. He is said to have increased his security following the 2007 murder of Sergio Gomez, lead singer of K-Paz de la Sierra.
Police in Mexico are investigating the killing and are said to have linked Vega's death to local drugs gangs.
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger
- Meet the Ravagers From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'