Sergio Vega Killed When Heading to Concert
Mexican singer Sergio Vega has been killed in a gunfight just hours after he dismissed false online reports of his own death. The 40-year-old star, who was also known as El Shaka, was gunned down on his way to a concert in Sinaloa, Mexico on Saturday night, June 26. The musician is said to have been murdered by unknown gunmen who targeted Vega's red Cadillac and shot him dead after the vehicle crashed to a halt, according to the BBC.
He was killed just hours after he gave an interview to entertainment website La Oreja in which he silenced online gossip which suggested he had been murdered. Vega told the website, "It's happened to me for years now, someone tells a radio station or a newspaper I've been killed, or suffered an accident. And then I have to call my dear mum, who has heart trouble, to reassure her."
Vega, who played with his band Sergio Vega y Sus Shakas Del Norte, was known for his controversial narcocorridos music, which often features lyrics celebrating the lives of drugs barons. He is said to have increased his security following the 2007 murder of Sergio Gomez, lead singer of K-Paz de la Sierra.
Police in Mexico are investigating the killing and are said to have linked Vega's death to local drugs gangs.
- Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim Separate After 11 Years of Marriage
- Two More Actors Join 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', New Set Photos Are Released
- 'Mr. Robot' Season 2 Gets Additional Episodes and an Aftershow
- Jamie Foxx Spotted Holding Hands With Mystery Woman. Cheating on Katie Holmes?
- Fifth Harmony Ladies Strip Down to Skimpy Bikinis in 'All in My Head' Video Ft. Fetty Wap
- 'Step Up' Series Coming to YouTube With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Attached
- Harry Styles Signs Solo Deal With Columbia Records. Time to Say Goodbye to 1D?
- 'Big Brother 18': And the First Evicted Houseguest Is...