Sergio Vega Killed When Heading to Concert
Mexican singer Sergio Vega has been killed in a gunfight just hours after he dismissed false online reports of his own death. The 40-year-old star, who was also known as El Shaka, was gunned down on his way to a concert in Sinaloa, Mexico on Saturday night, June 26. The musician is said to have been murdered by unknown gunmen who targeted Vega's red Cadillac and shot him dead after the vehicle crashed to a halt, according to the BBC.
He was killed just hours after he gave an interview to entertainment website La Oreja in which he silenced online gossip which suggested he had been murdered. Vega told the website, "It's happened to me for years now, someone tells a radio station or a newspaper I've been killed, or suffered an accident. And then I have to call my dear mum, who has heart trouble, to reassure her."
Vega, who played with his band Sergio Vega y Sus Shakas Del Norte, was known for his controversial narcocorridos music, which often features lyrics celebrating the lives of drugs barons. He is said to have increased his security following the 2007 murder of Sergio Gomez, lead singer of K-Paz de la Sierra.
Police in Mexico are investigating the killing and are said to have linked Vega's death to local drugs gangs.
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie